class option to "show snap others at top level"

grant_PD

Question

I find myself often unable to use the class visibility options because I have objects with many different classes nested in them, either in groups or symbols.  I wonder if it would be useful to have an option to limit the class filtering to Parent or Top level, meaning that nested objects did not cause their parents to become unusable.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

I like the idea, but am concerned about the complexity of making this work. Classes are hard enough to keep track of and it is too easy to lose items by mis-classing them. Any more complexity is likely to make the situation worse.

I agree that Active Only is rarely useful in a drawing with nested object or nested classes. My typical work around is to try and make sure that "container" objects (Groups, Symbols, PIOs) use only one (or a few) classes. Then to simulate Active Only, I set all of the classes to invisible except the classes of the container objects and use the fact that the Active Class is always visible and the arrow keys to step through the classes to check visibilities.

Grant, can you explain further what you mean by "limit class filtering to Parent or Top level"?

@Pat Stanford

circling back to this as I work...I have an autohybrid which is classed the same as everything else inside it.  But, since my appearances of my autohybrid are dictated by classes, when I work in "active only" then I cannot see anything in Top/Plan view.  This seems to me to either be defeating the purpose of the "active only," or defeating the purpose of the autohybrid.  

I see what you are saying, but it is doing exactly what Active Only is supposed to do. It is showing only the active class. Since the AutoHybrid part is using a different class it is not displaying that. I don't see how it can do anything else that would make any better sense.

The best work around I can offer is to use the ability to Option-Click in the Class visibilities column to set all the classes to Invisible. Then set your primary object class to Visible, your AutoHybrid class to Active and your Class Options to Show/Snap (or S/S/M) Others. That way you get the visibilities that you want.

Or maybe a better wish would be to have an extra visibility column something like Always Visible or Ignore Filtering so that you could set container classes (Autohybrids, groups, symbols) to always be visible no matter what the filtering or class options.

Or a check box to make the class of container objects that have contained objects visible visible.

Not an easy problem to get a working solution that will not mess up anyones workflow.

Is you wish actually something more like Always Show Contained Objects Regardless of Class Options?

Possible solutions off the top of my head:

-autohybrids don't use classes as a means to control pens

-some sort of "solo" mode where whatever objects are selected can be isolated and worked on regardless of class or layer.  This is a refinement of the ol' "group the things you want to work on" trick that everyone uses.