How to develop a parametric 2D model

This is a hobby pursuit for studying the relationship of bicycle geometry, crank arm length, and seat height/position on pedaling my mountain bike within Vectorworks. 

Is it possible to develop a model like the one seen at 8:40 in the video below within Vectorworks?  If so, how would I go about learning how to do it?  If not, does anyone have a suggestion on a free Mac version of software capable of doing so?  Essentially, it’s a 2D parametric model that allows you to change the length of femur, shin, crank arm length, seat tube angle, and seat tube height to study the angles as you move thru the range of motion.  While this is not for my work, I could see applications of such models for some of my design work potentially.

I don't know how well it will work versus something designed for it, but you can accomplish most of this with the Constraints.

Draw an extra line for the seat post and Constrain the post Parallel to this line. Draw your other four lines and put Coincident Constraints at the ends.

Use the Rotate tool to change the angle of the crank and the other parts will move together.

You should be able to attach associative dimensions, but you may have to add some extra geometry to measure the angles from.

image.thumb.png.d773405f510fcb6c9c0d79a95c3a5a6b.pngimage.thumb.png.c58a0ba2a3fb1aa71bc6a46bb201f25c.png

• Like 2