Device Builder Incorrect Sizing

My firm recently upgraded from 2018 to 2020, purchased ConnectCAD and I am in the process of learning the ropes and integrating in into our workflow.  I am working from the ConnectCAD template file on a mac running 10.14.6. 

When I create a new device on the schematic layer using the device builder tool, it imports the specified device but the objects that it inserts are FAR too small and all of the socket+data fields are bunched on top of each other. Obviously I can edit this device, resize and re-arrange all of the sockets manually but I am SURE that isn't how this works. I haven't touched layer scale, it's still 1:1. I feel like there is something stupid that I am missing.

Additionally, my machine seems to be having an issue handling the nested toolsets in the connectCAD workspace or any custom ones. For instance, if I nest all of the socket tools, it only allows me to use the parent tool and gives no dropdown to select the children. Not sure what the issue is here either.

Thanks for the wisdom!

Update: It seems that units are the issue! I've gotten the snapgrid set to 1/4" which seems to have solved the sizing issue. With this in mind, is the recommended workflow for using ConnectCAD to use a seperate file for schematics/rack work vs. general layouts/elevations for a project? 

Wisdom regarding the nested tool sets is certainly still welcome. 

Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Noah,

The snap grid setting is used to control the spacing of sockets throughout ConnectCAD. It also controls the sizing of device created in Device Builder - devices start out 6 grid wide and expand in grid multiples if the text does not fit. Socket font sizes are set up to look good on a 4mm grid so 1/4" is a good size to use for imperial.

Conrad

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Regarding nested tools, the idea is you click and hold and the sub-tools appear as a flyout. If that isn't working for you that would be a bug for one of my colleagues to look at, so let me know.

I've noticed over the years that this way of accessing the sub-tools is not understood as an intuitive move. But this will be gone in the next version anyway.

C