Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Wall Opening plugin - Script Errors

Hello @Eric Mousse ,

Assuming the original code used Modern Dialogs and not Classic Dialogs, this list may help if you want to do the edits yourself. You'll have to look up the syntax in the Script Function Reference (found in the VW application folder VWHelp>Script Reference folder) or the online Developer WIKI (link is at the top of this page.)

Old VS call	New VS call
DelChoice	RemoveChoice
GetChoiceStr	GetChoiceText
GetField	GetItemText
GetSelChoice	GetSelectedChoiceInfo
InsertChoice	AddChoice
ItemSel		GetBooleanItem
NumChoices	GetChoiceCount
SelChoice	SelectChoice
SelField	SelectEditText
SetField	SetItemText (editable text) or SetControlText (static text)
SetHelpString	SetHelpText
SetItem		SetBooleanItem
SetItemEnable	EnableItem
SetTextEditable	EnableTextEdit

Take note: Some calls just add the DialogID to the parameter list, while others also change the parameters around a bit. Making the edits typically isn't very hard, just tedious. Let the error reports from the script compiler be your guide.

Feel free to write back if you have more questions.

HTH,

Raymond

Nope, It was Classic Dialog calls. But not very complicated.

Original NNA code by Rich Dies and Kevin Shertz 1998. Edited by Charles Chandler, Orso and Petri up through 2010.

I would say it is open source enough that no one would mind it being updated.

But the updater will not be me. At least not this week.  ;-)

Thank you for your answers.
I don't know anything about vectorscript, maybe this is the opportunity to try to get started ... I will try to find the time to do it.
It's a pity, there are some useful old plugins made obsolete by the evolution of Vectorworks and that nobody has updated.
There is another "Openings" plugin that seems easier to update, I will try with the indications provided by MullinRJ.  Thanks!

Capture d’écran 2020-05-12 à 22.38.18.png

Hello @Eric Mousse ,

As @Peter Vandewalle stated explicitly, and @Pat Stanford implied, the dialog needs to be rewritten from the ground up. It is not a simple case of substituting old commands with new ones as I originally hoped. This is not something terribly difficult for a seasoned VS programmer, but may be a bit daunting for a novice. I'll take another look at in the next few days, but if someone beats me to it, that's okay, too. 

You may want to try your hand at it and feel free to write back with questions. Scripting is an incredibly powerful tool. The more you master the more freedom you have to apply your craft.

Raymond

@Eric Mousse ,

I bit the bullet and updated the Wall Openings plug-in object for VW 2020. This was not a trivial exercise which is probably why nobody has done it yet. The code is unlocked so you or anyone else can build on it. When you add it to your workspace, it will be in the "panta rhei" category*. All I ask is that you drop me a line in a week or two, after you've played with it a bit and let me know how it's working for you. If there are any glitches, especially if I've caused them, I'll help you iron them out.

Wall Opening.vso.zip

Have fun,

Raymond

* Hello, Petri.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 11:21 AM, MullinRJ said:

@Eric Mousse ,

I bit the bullet and updated the Wall Openings plug-in object for VW 2020. This was not a trivial exercise which is probably why nobody has done it yet. The code is unlocked so you or anyone else can build on it. When you add it to your workspace, it will be in the "panta rhei" category*. All I ask is that you drop me a line in a week or two, after you've played with it a bit and let me know how it's working for you. If there are any glitches, especially if I've caused them, I'll help you iron them out.

Wall Opening.vso.zip 7.71 kB · 4 downloads

Have fun,

Raymond

* Hello, Petri.

Raymond, I am always bewildered at your generosity, which, combined with your skills, makes it a true gift whatever you happen to do.

Edited by _c_
  • Like 1
On 5/16/2020 at 11:21 AM, MullinRJ said:

@Eric Mousse ,

Wall Opening.vso.zip 7.71 kB · 4 downloads

Have fun,

Raymond

* Hello, Petri.

Sorry I don't understand the use of this.  I put it in VW and it makes openings in walls, but similar to using the window or doors tools really.  Is this just and exercise in programming or am I missing something.  I do see you can make various shapes.  Can it be used to make a nitch.  I am not trying to be negative just to understand.

@Helm,

I understand that you don't understand, because I gave the wrong plugin. Since I haven't been able to use them for a while, I confused the "Openings" plugin that I used to make niches in walls, and the "Wall Openings" plugin that is indeed no longer useful, both published at vectordepot.

I'm really sorry to have made MullinRJ work for nothing, and I thank him again for the help. 

Moreover, I was able to fix the "Openings" plugin thanks to the information he gave me about obsolete Script Function.
It is part of a set of plugins written by Paolo Marcuccetti and published open source in Vectordepot 

http://www.vectordepot.com/openings_help/readme.html

It is very easy to update them, no need to know how to code. Just replace all SetLS by SetLSN, GetLS by GetLSN, PenPat by PenPatN, etc.
If I could do it everyone can do it . . . If you think these plugins useful, of course. 

19 hours ago, _c_ said:

John, this is the Vectorscript forum, you don't have to understand. Sometimes we don't either.

That is fair, but I thought the plug in was something that could be useful so I tried it.  Actually it does have some uses, using a window to make a hole in a wall is kind of a work around and when I tried a round window it put in fixed glass which I did not see a way to remove  - probably there a way.