"Place between" or "Measure from" like in AutoCAD

I'm coming from AutoCAD and can barely survice without the "Measure from" or "Place between two points".

How do I do that in VW? 

Say I want to place a window exactly between two points, or if I'm putting an object at a specific distance from another object?

Probably a super simple solution, but I can't get how to do it.

Thanks!

Read the help on the Smart Cursor. You can hover over the two points you want to place the object between and you will get temporary smart snaps. Make sure you have the Smart Snap turned on and check your Smart Snap Preferences.

image.thumb.png.8bd21c3217558a02735c1a5faa4a7597.png

image.thumb.png.41dd5d19180c5fad3899bcf9c5d6be7a.png

I don't know what Measure From does, but if you hover over a point it will become the local Datum and have a circle around the point. If you then hit the Tab key, you will get the flyout data menu. Tab into the field you want and enter a value relative to the temporary 0,0 point of the datum. My screen capture is not sophisticated enough to grab the flyout menu.

• Like 1

Thank you Pat for your answer. I did some (quite short, to be honest) research and didn't find really the same thing as there is in AutoCAD.

I use smart points all the time, but I want to measure from a specific point to a specific distance. Say I want to place a window 950mm from a wall and then move it 1500mm from the ground, what's the most simple way to do that? 

Real newbe question I guess, but still need it 😃

Thanks again!

The Move by points tool using the 3rd mode will allow you to move objects from a reference point by a specific distance.

If you then want to add a certain value to the height, say 1500mm, then just add +1500mm to the height field in the object info palette for the Window. Vectorworks will do the calculation for you.

You can change  datum points in the middle of a move.  Start at your initial point and get a datum. Tab into the flyout data bar and enter your 950mm in the X field and hit tab. You should get a red vertical line 950 mm from the datum. Mouse over to where the red line intersects your wall bottom. Hit the G key to move the Datum to the intersection of the wall and the red line. Hit tab to get into the flyout data bar. Tab into the Y field and enter your 1500mm.  You should now have as datum point and crossed red lines at the point you want to move to.

You may not even need to use the G key to set the datum. It may set for you automatically.

15 hours ago, markdd said:

The Move by points tool using the 3rd mode will allow you to move objects from a reference point by a specific distance.

If you then want to add a certain value to the height, say 1500mm, then just add +1500mm to the height field in the object info palette for the Window. Vectorworks will do the calculation for you.

I've tried that and it kinda does the trick, but it only works if I want to move something, not draw, right?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

You can change  datum points in the middle of a move.  Start at your initial point and get a datum. Tab into the flyout data bar and enter your 950mm in the X field and hit tab. You should get a red vertical line 950 mm from the datum. Mouse over to where the red line intersects your wall bottom. Hit the G key to move the Datum to the intersection of the wall and the red line. Hit tab to get into the flyout data bar. Tab into the Y field and enter your 1500mm.  You should now have as datum point and crossed red lines at the point you want to move to.

You may not even need to use the G key to set the datum. It may set for you automatically.

OK! Great news! I'll try that straight away. Many thanks!!

1 hour ago, MartinBlomberg said:

I've tried that and it kinda does the trick, but it only works if I want to move something, not draw, right?

Thanks!

It only works for moving objects (which was in your original post)

This quick video shows the process I use. I have put the extension line and smartcursor settings up as well.

Edited by markdd
On 5/12/2020 at 10:23 AM, markdd said:

It only works for moving objects (which was in your original post)

This quick video shows the process I use. I have put the extension line and smartcursor settings up as well.

Hi,

Thank you so much for this! Totally make sense, much appreciated!

// martin

On 5/12/2020 at 10:23 AM, markdd said: