Object Lists / Custom Object Naming

trashcan

Question

The class and layer system in Vectorworks is excellent, but one major thing that's lacking for me is a list of objects in a class (not a report). Essentially another organizational palette that works like any other program with tons of objects. The visualization palette sort of already has this, but is missing the hierarchical view, (I.e., same-class lights).

So for example, you have 10 different types of things in a single class. 5 polylines, 2 extruded objects, 3 walls. The 3 walls would be hierarchically under "Walls", 2 extruded objects under "Extruded Objects" and the 5 poly lines under "Polylines". 

Double clicking an object with extrudes or subtractions would open up a hierarchical list for that object. (I.e., Extruded Object would open up to it's polygon base). 

Groups would be their own list and double clicking would expand that group into its own hierarchical list with the same categories. 

All the data is there to implement this panel and would be a value add to the Vectorworks experience. It would speed up some of the manual clicking and finding of an object. Sometimes you don't want to have to navigate to an object in physical space in order to select it. Would also help with objects that appear to be missing but are behind or below another object. 

A step up from there would be the ability to have Layers shows which classes are within. This sort of already exists but not in a simple hierarchical list as its own palette. 

It would make finding and selecting objects so much easier. Being able to rename objects would be great, too (I.e., Extruded Object could be a custom name suffixed with the object type, "%Name - Extruded Object"). Of course you could leave the default names. 

Edited by trashcan
pressed enter before I was done!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet