Running VW on MAC Mini ?

Does anyone have any experience running Vectorworks on a MAC mini? It looks like these machines are similar in performance to an IMAC.

I am a potentially new vectorworks user and am trying to find an optimal hardware set up for running it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I do not have any personal experience with using Vw on a Mac Mini, but I found a handful of threads on the topic which may be helpful (links below).

I can say that starting with Vw2019, Vectorworks relies more and more on having a powerful / fast dedicated video GPU. So the Mac Mini might be underpowered with its integrated graphics processor (especially when compared with the iMac) and you may need to consider adding an external GPU (eGPU) to the Mini.

eGPU and Vectorworks Testing

So Is the 2018 Mac Mini a Viable Vw Machine?

Problems Using 2020 With an External GPU

Mac Mini for Vectorworks or Upgrade Mac Pro

On the following page you can find GPU ratings for different hardware configurations, and there are several versions of the Mac Mini listed, coupled with using eGPUs. [Unfortunately, the list hasn’t been updated by Vw for several years now, but it should still offer some insight].

User Success Hardware Benchmark Results

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 3
  • 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, techdef said:

Yeah, I do it at home and hate it. The lack of video hardware makes it a big drag to use. However, if youre able to use Vectorworks Cloud publish (as I do) it does get the job done!

THANKS ! I ended up getting an IMAC. Works pretty good. I might upgrade the memory but it works quite well on most of the files I am working in.

There are a couple of design tools that I use that don't have a good MAC version - so I am looking at getting a laptop for running PC based apps.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

AFAIK,

at least for now, Parallels for M1 Macs can only virtualize an ARM Operating System,

no x86_64 system.

(And if Parallels will ever be capable to do so in the future, it may be pretty slow

because of emulation)

So Parallels on M1 should only be able to run a Windows10 for ARM, an ARM version

of Linux or macOS Big Sur upwards.

And as no macOS older than Big Sur runs on M1 Macs,

I think, on M1 Macs you are limited to any VW version that supports Big Sur.

If I'm not wrong that is only VW 2020 and newer.

Edited by zoomer
2 minutes ago, zoomer said:

AFAIK,

at least for now, Parallels for M1 Macs can only virtualize an ARM Operating System,

no x86_64 system.

(And if Parallels will ever be capable to do so in the future, it may be pretty slow

because of emulation)

So Parallels on M1 should only be able to run a Windows10 for ARM, an ARM version

of Linux or macOS Big Sur upwards.

And as no macOS older than Big Sur runs on M1 Macs,

I think, on M1 Macs you are limited to any VW version that supports Big Sur.

If I'm not wrong that is only VW 2020 and newer.

I believe so, too... 2020 and newer. Thanks for the note.

Can't take both the M1 AND VWs 2021 hit right now. 

4 hours ago, Ramon PG said:

I believe so, too... 2020 and newer. Thanks for the note.

Can't take both the M1 AND VWs 2021 hit right now. 

I was in the same position as you... decided to go for the M1 and as a consequence had to go for the VW upgrade. I was on 2018, now on 2021. VW2021 is better than VW2018, but not lots better, and I only did it because I had to in order to move to the new mac. In and of itself, the amount I had to pay for the VW upgrade was not worth the limited improvements (and all the most annoying bugs and problems still remaining). Because I bought with a VSS subscription, I will be able to get 2022 as well, and so I'm going to hope that whatever it brings makes what I spent seem worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, zoomer said:

I think it is a good idea to wait until VW 2022 gets released

and see how far VW's Apple ARM optimization has come.

Also more Apple Pro(sumer) Macs should be unveiled until then.

Very good advise. And I guess we'll be seeing VWs 2022 late this very year. 

Edited by Ramon PG
typo