Reshape Generic Solid

trashcan

Question

18 answers to this question

@markdd I'm trying to reshape that pyramid from that other thread. 

I am able to do any of those conversions but what tool do I use to reshape? The reshape tool doesn't seem to do anything, or let me select vertices. 

Trying to move the tip of the pyramid's red point to the green point. 

image.thumb.png.ff1769a7b8fd6a66600b640c8800cb04.png

If it is just a pyramid then convert to mesh might be the best option.

What all these commands will do is break the solid object down to it's multiple component faces. These face will then need to be manipulated one by one. Sometimes it can be tricky. Sadly I don't necessarily know of a quick fix just now...

Double-clicking on a 3D Poly should give you the blue grips/Grab handles that you can then drag with your cursor.

• Like 1

Yeah that works. Just reshape the faces one by one. It would be great if you could select multiple vertices and move all of them simultaneously 🤦‍♂️! I've put a 3D loci at the green point there, but it won't let me snap to it when I reshape. It seems to lock to the layer plane. Any ideas there? 

I'm getting these reshape options:

434801092_ScreenShot2020-05-07at1_07_16PM.thumb.png.86d2a84ba07b853e993feca0590b4d98.png

When I suspect that I want these options:

image.thumb.png.7deb7c1dc6f6177dc5692081f0c4ca25.png

Edited by trashcan

I think I figured this out. Re: @zoomer my reshape was watertight! 

Seems a little backwards but here's a process that consistently works. 

To move planes around as per my original post:

1. Create 3D loci for the move-to target
  2. Convert pyramid to 3D Mesh. 
  3. Double click the Mesh - all of the planes are treated as 3D polygons. Not sure why, but Ok?
  4. Move your points around to desired move-to-target (I can't figure out how to get all of the reshape modes active here. It only gives the "Move Vertex Mode"). 

image.thumb.png.ebba13e0c6c693541ace753b9aae6540.png

5. Reclose all the planes - turning into a 3D mesh auto converts to 3D polygons and then leaves them open polygons for some reason. 

6. Convert back to Mesh

7. Convert from mesh to Generic Solids. 

Is there any easy way to get rid of that 3D loci now? 

just throwing this in here.   Mesh objects, eg pyramids,  have two edit methods: 

Reshape tool ( double click) - this gives access to the individual 3d polys that comprise the mesh. eg move a vertex and it disconnects that vertex and associated edges from surrounding polys. requires snap the other vertices to new location to complete the edit - lotta work! Reshape tool also facilitates adding new edges to a mesh. 

Select tool - drag a marquee around the vertex to move. this essentially selects ALL the vertices stacked at that location.  drag to new location. all the associated faces stay connected and adjust/move with the selection. this is the best method for moving pyramid points. 

-B

• Like 3