selection tool shortcut

A2M

Question

Hi, I was working on vw 2016, then 2019 and I just switched to 2020.

On 2016 and 2019, it was possible to select the selection tool with the escape button. Now it's X, which is less convenient, I think... Is it possible to set the shortcut with the escape button again?

9 answers to this question

You can edit the workspace to change shortcut keys - tool menu. Not sure if it can be changed to the escape key however. 

X has been the default workspace short cut selection key for as long as I’ve used vw ie about 2009.

Edited by Boh
12 hours ago, Boh said:

X has been the default workspace short cut selection key for as long as I’ve used vw ie about 2009.

Then, it's probably the workspace I heritated where the selection tool was set with the escape key...

I already try to modify the shortcut by editting the workspace, but it's not possible to set the escape key.

What is weird is that in my previous versions of vectorworks, when I edit the workspace, there is no shortcut set for the selection tool. However, when I press the escape key, I select the selection tool...

Any other idea?

Capture d’écran 2020-05-07 à 17.39.12.png

Capture d’écran 2020-05-07 à 17.38.59.png

Edited by A2M

So this is probably a bad idea but you could copy the previous version vw workspace file and paste it into your workspace user folder for your current version.  Then set this as your active workspace. This should get you your escape selected shortcut key but could cause problems elsewhere. 

Yeah, of course, that was my first idea!

But I worked (and learned) with complete customized workspace, with a completely different menu bar completely the normal one, the same for the sets of tools (don't know the name in english). As I'm changing to work in 3D, it was much easier to take a normal workspace, change the shortcuts that I really want like before, and learn for the rest...

Any other ideas ??? 🙃

5 hours ago, Boh said:

you could copy the previous version vw workspace file and paste it into your workspace user folder for your current version

I would advise against this.  I spent (wasted) two weeks tracking down crashes, and the most likely culprit is corrupted and/or legacy workspaces.  From now on I'll be rebuilding my custom workspace from scratch at each update.  

6 hours ago, A2M said:

Any other ideas ??? 🙃

How about just using x as the shortcut?! 😀

It is actually quite good and it won’t take much getting used to.

Whilst working remotely in lockdown many of my shortcuts aren’t working incl this one. Annoying but I quickly adapted.