Window & Door Elevation Datum

techdef

Question

Windows and Doors always insert in Z-axis (height) relative to the bottom of the wall they're inserted into.

If you have walls which extend below the finish floor elevation this is shockingly odd.

Walls and doors should be inserted relative to a layer (layer pulldown, say "finish floor"), not the object they're linked to.

Doors in particular are rather inefficient when 1' below the floor.... For example, my exterior 1st floor stucco walls have an exterior finish face which extends down to below the floor framing to cover the edge of slab. Doors therefore insert at bottom of floor slab height, instead of finish floor height.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 2.58.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 2.52.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 2.52.29 PM.png

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

@techdef I think that would be a difficult one to plan for.  Doors and windows would need to be aware of where they are relative to the finish floor.  So, what happens if you have a step up in the building and the floor is now 6" taller, but the wall extends 18" below the floor level (to match with the other exterior walls)?  The problem just gets kicked down the road a bit.

I often use the same technique you do - extending the base of my walls down an extra foot or so to cover the floor system.  For what it's worth, in the OIP the door height will show up as an offset from the 0' datum in the following image it's -1'-0".  I find it pretty easy to adjust the height to 0 (or whatever I need it to be) as part of the door insertion process.  Perhaps you already use this technique, but if not, it might be helpful.

-1'804163381_ScreenShot2020-05-08at12_43_54PM.thumb.png.b6e242c7be58667d3ad7bdb86f2e12fd.png

On 5/8/2020 at 8:48 PM, Taproot said:

@techdef I think that would be a difficult one to plan for.  Doors and windows would need to be aware of where they are relative to the finish floor. 

They just need to know where 0 is. Set your finished floor level to 0, as most of us do, and you're good to go.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:48 PM, Taproot said:

So, what happens if you have a step up in the building and the floor is now 6" taller, but the wall extends 18" below the floor level (to match with the other exterior walls)? 

These aren't the problem though. It's one thing to have to offset windows to an offset floor level. But it's another altogether for windows to be offset from where they should be by default.