Site model modifiers approach

Hi all,

I have two questions:

1. What is best way to approach site modifiers to achieve site model cut out for building (with section profile) shown in attached sketch in red? Multiple pads with retaining edge?

Is it achievable at all?

2. i want to place my hardscape (pathway around building) - aligned slab modifier (bottom) right to the building edge = site modifier edge. How can these two go together without running into site model conflicts...? What is the trick there? 

I have spent lot of time to find answer for this type of situations but no success. I know two hardscape objects both with site modifier 3D type can touch each other without causing site conflict...

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks.

IMG_7132.jpg

I don't have any great insights to offer. I gave up hope of cutting any type of footing when I first started site modeling, My understanding is that the program isn't capable of calculating voids under terrain. I have graded a two story, daylight basement house with a mezzanine off the back using two pads w/ retaining edges, make sure your pad edges align, if they are too close, grade will  "spill" over, just keep adjusting until it does what you're after. I'll very often leave .1 inch between pad edges. Same with hardscapes, pull back the edge .1" from the building face and it should grade just fine, and shouldn't be readily apparent in section or plan view.  Also don't forget, 3D Polys on the "Site-DTM-Modifier layer can be helpful in strategic situations. Good Luck!

• Like 2

We really should be able to cause a site model to simply fill in the area around a foundation. 

Using all of the various site modifiers, .1" gaps etc is very time consuming and tiresome..  in other words, the foundation "is" the site modifier, since in many cases, that's essentially what happens... excavation occurs, foundation is poured.. backfill, and the site contour is more or less as it was, with the exceptions of some minor drainage slopes etc..

Edited by dtheory
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, ScottLebsack said:

3D Polys on the "Site-DTM-Modifier layer can be helpful in strategic situations.

Great advice with a minor correction.  3D Polys placed in the Site-DTM-Modifier class (not layer) become site modifiers.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dtheory said:

We really should be able to cause a site model to simply fill in the area around a foundation. 

Using all of the various site modifiers, .1" gaps etc is very time consuming and tiresome..  in other words, the foundation "is" the site modifier, since in many cases, that's essentially what happens... excavation occurs, foundation is poured.. backfill, and the site contour is more or less as it was, with the exceptions of some minor drainage slopes etc..

It would be great if site modifiers worked the way you describe, it would result in a much easier (and more accurate) workflow than what is currently required. You should create a wishlist request for what you describe / envision for how it *should* work.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, dtheory said:

in other words, the foundation "is" the site modifier, since in many cases, that's essentially what happens...

I couldn't agree more.  And the retaining wall tool in Landmark should be available in Architect.

• Like 3

Couple things

A.  @drelARCH Not sure this helps, but those Aligned Hardscapes can align to ANY 3d geometry, and there is a dialog to control which layer contains the controlling objects.  Soooo, maybe make some 3d polys or NURBS or other on a layer dedicated to the pathway slabs?  Also, the aligned modifer slab could have thickness of 0 (or a very small thickness) which would make it perform similar to a pad. Then, another slab could be set on that pad - not sure that helps, at all.

Regarding undercuts in profiles - For some reason the terrain model has not yet achieved the ability to model recesses of any kind - natural arches, grottoes, caves, or accommodate the usual footing and stem wall.  Maybe it will get there one day!  A workaround for some situations is to stack several site models. But that's a fools errand because data is split, sections need to be redundant, etc.

B. Regarding  tools and objects, such as the Retaining Wall, included in one Industry Module, but missing from another - - -.  My feeling is that vwx should drop the modules. Only offer Designer (and Fundamentals, Student).  There is quite an effort put into dumbing down some of these things so that they are "read only" in other modules.  I'm just an armchair critic here, but it seems that the modules were put in place (back in v2008?) as a response to Autodesk modules and a way to offer a price structure.  I wonder, though, if splitting the user base, dumbing the tools, separate marketing, watching for cheaters, and probably some other things makes the modules more development intensive (costly)? Could Designer pricing compensate if those efforts were terminated and everyone purchased Designer.  The separate workspaces would remain and be enhanced.

And then, what should be included with Fundamentals (if it's really stripped down, is it a reasonable gateway to Designer)? Student version? Trials?  never an easy way through, blah blah blah - Benson on his high horse, never mind . . .

-B

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...