Jump to content
trashcan

Rotating a Hybrid Object (Projector)?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to rotate an Epson projector symbol but every time I do I get the warning "Hybrid objects can only be rotated in a plane parallel to the active layer place. Would you like the working plane set to the active layer plane?" I click "Yes" and then still can't rotate it. 

 

If I try to rotate in rotate 3D I get "Hybrid object can only be rotated about the Z axis". 

 

If I delete the 2D symbol, making it no-longer a hybrid object, then it works as I'd like it to, but I lose the 2D symbol. 

 

Obviously, would like to keep the 2D symbol, but can always render hidden line to achieve a compromise. 

 

Any ideas here? 

 

Edited by trashcan

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Plain and simple - Hybrid 2D/3D symbols will not rotate as you want, so what you have done is probably the right thing to do.

 

If you want to rotate the symbol and then achieve a 2D projection of it, then the AutoHybrid command is a good route to go down. Otherwise you are going to be left with using a seperate 2D symbol that will need to be overlaid over your Rotated 3D Symbol.

 

You could make the projector into a lighting instrument symbol and convert it to a lighting device. The Ligting device object will move the 3D independently of the 2D leaving the 2D component in place.

 

It would be interesting to hear of any other workflows that others may have.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@markdd as soon as I run the AutoHybrid command in the symbol I get the following error:

 

"Auto Hybrid creation succeeded, unsupported objects were excluded. The create Auto Hybrid command works exclusively on unlocked 3D-Only objects"

 

Is there a way to find out what objects are locked or not 3D?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Try it by selecting the symbol after it is rotated. It won’t work the way you want within a symbol edit window.
 

Just tried it here on a 3D symbol rotated at an angle and it worked fine. (The symbol is rotated and not the contents of the symbol.)571405426_Screenshot2020-05-07at14_02_04.thumb.png.9cd2501c32e24538ec943dcf0cb88927.png

 

 

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

For my purposes it's better to leave the projectors as projectors for now. So you do it TO the symbol, not within the symbol. And it only really makes sense to do it when you've got your final positioning. Otherwise you can't rotate it again. Correct? 

 

What's the best method if I Auto Hybrid the symbol and then need to rotate it again? (How do I un-Hybrid the symbol)

Share this post


Link to post

Double-click the auto hybrid to access the 3D symbol. Rotate the symbol as you require and exit the AutoHybrid edit window. 
 

The 2d geometry will regenerate to reflect the change of angle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, markdd said:

You could make the projector into a lighting instrument symbol and convert it to a lighting device. The Ligting device object will move the 3D independently of the 2D leaving the 2D component in place.

 

Hey Mark,

 

How do you do this? I'm currently working on a file with all my lighting fixtures in 3D. But for the 2D instances of the hybrid symbols, I'm trying to find a way where I can move them at bit to clean up some overlaps, but don't want to mess with the 3D positioning. 

Currently when I move the lighting device in 2D plan, it is also moving the 3D. (and vice versa)

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/6/2020 at 8:51 PM, trashcan said:

I'm trying to rotate an Epson projector symbol but every time I do I get the warning "Hybrid objects can only be rotated in a plane parallel to the active layer place. Would you like the working plane set to the active layer plane?" I click "Yes" and then still can't rotate it. 

 

If I try to rotate in rotate 3D I get "Hybrid object can only be rotated about the Z axis". 

 

If I delete the 2D symbol, making it no-longer a hybrid object, then it works as I'd like it to, but I lose the 2D symbol. 

 

Obviously, would like to keep the 2D symbol, but can always render hidden line to achieve a compromise. 

 

Any ideas here? 

 

Hi

 

You might not need to destroy the symbol. There are three values you can modify, tilt of the screen, tilt of the projector and the vertical position set to specific shift.

 

By massaging these three values you should be able to hang at any angle including "projecting on the floor"

 

Hope that helps

 

Share this post


Link to post

@fuberator sup man good to see you on here 👋

 

I'm not using the projector screen tool so don't have the tilt options. I'm using projector symbols and then manually drawing out the projector cones using good old frustums. Most of my projections surfaces aren't flat planes so I kind of need to do that (unless you have a workflow recommendation!). 

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, trashcan said:

@fuberator sup man good to see you on here 👋

 

I'm not using the projector screen tool so don't have the tilt options. I'm using projector symbols and then manually drawing out the projector cones using good old frustums. Most of my projections surfaces aren't flat planes so I kind of need to do that (unless you have a workflow recommendation!). 

 

hi, cam?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...