ODBC connection to Filemaker makes VW crash

soundarchitect

Question

Hello,

I'm using Filemaker to connect to Vectorworks. All is set up as supposed, and it works both ways. So changing data in Filemaker reflects those changes in the database connected records, and vice versa.

But, if I touch the "Update Vectorworks Document" in the Tools/Database menu, Vectorworks crashes immediately. Can anybody help, or has similar experiences, or perhaps best practices? There is not a lot to find if it comes to errors returned from the ODBC driver and by now it seems like a completely obsolete function if the updating vice versa is not working.

Would love to share more system information, but for now:

- MacOS 10.14 Mojave

- VW2020sp3

- Filemaker Pro Advanced 16

- Actual Technologies ODBC Manager 1.0.19

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Same issues here working on VWks 2020, Filemaker 17, but with FMP19 ODBC connector (having tried 17, 18 and now 19) with latest ODBC Manager for Mac Catalina. Vwks SP4 says this is fixed, but not apparently. Also crashes on Object connection even for 1 row.

Mission critical for me.

UPDATE: It does seem to be fixed in SP4 - I was on SP3, my  error.

UPDATE 2: No, it still crashes with SP4, - constantly.

Edited by DaviesTheChair
Experience

Hi, I have tried many things but with limited success. My local VWksUK tech support helped to refresh my VWks installation to a clean install which in a simple test of just 4 objects seemed to have worked, but after a short time Vectorworks began crashing due background polling of the ODBC Driver which was reporting to have lost connection. This is what seems to trigger the VWks crash on object connection.

Sorry no resolution for me yet. It seems to be a driver connection issue, Because I can get a connection and import data without a crash, but only within a narrow time frame until the next background polling. As to whether the problem lies within Vectorworks or in the Mac system I cannot tell. Needs more VWks tech support.