How to turn off door trim in viewport

I'm having difficulty with door component class assignments.  

I want to have a door that includes trim and jamb information, and shows the trim and jamb in elevation viewports.  However, I want that trim to disappear in plan viewports (because of the small scale the extra linework seems graphically messy).  I've tried every setting I can think of in the Doors-Classes menu panel, and as best I can tell the trim and jamb can only be controlled by the overall class of the door object.  Meaning, that I have no way of turning off those components of the door without turning off the visibility of the entire door.  Even though I can assign them a unique class, changing the visibility of that class in a viewport doesn't seem to affect the visibility of those components.

Is this true? Has anybody found a work around for this? 

Select the Door. Click on the Settings button in the Object Info Palette.

In the Door Settings dialog box choose Classes in the left hand column. Set a class for your trim. Exit the dialog box.

Select Viewport. Click on the Classes... button. Set the class that you set the trim to to be invisible.

HTH.

It seems that the visibility of door elements is controlled entirely by the "Visibility Layers" submenu on the "2D Visualization" panel of the Door Settings.  For some reason, the "Classes" panel of Door Settings does not seem to control the visibility of those classes at all.  Unfortunately, the "Visibility Layers" submenu on "2D Visualization" doesn't have an option to assign a class to the trim, so I'm not able to use that menu to control the visibility of trim specifically.

I'm trying to figure out if this is just how the door tool is set up or if there is a setting somewhere I need to adjust to get it to function how I'd prefer.  (or, if there is another work-around).

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Putman said:

It seems that the visibility of door elements is controlled entirely by the "Visibility Layers" submenu on the "2D Visualization" panel of the Door Settings.  For some reason, the "Classes" panel of Door Settings does not seem to control the visibility of those classes at all.  Unfortunately, the "Visibility Layers" submenu on "2D Visualization" doesn't have an option to assign a class to the trim, so I'm not able to use that menu to control the visibility of trim specifically.

Not quite correct. Visibility can be controlled by either the 2D Visualization or by Classes. Once you set a class for a part of a door then you need to go to the Navigation Pallette (or the Class... settings in a viewport) and set that class to be invisible.

Hi Pat,

Yes, I understand that I then have to control the visibility of the assigned class through the Navigation Palette (or class settings of the viewport).  Currently I have the trim assigned to class "Door-Trim" through the classes panel of door settings.  When I make the class "Door-Trim" invisible, either using my navigation palette (in my base drawing) or using the class settings of a viewport, the trim of my door does not turn off.  I can also assign it to other classes and change the visibility of those classes and it still will not turn off.  If I draw something else random on that class, the random thing will turn off, but still not the door trim.  The *only* class that I can turn off to make the door trim disappear is the <Door Class> (overall class of the whole door object).

Wes Gardner, your sample door was helpful.  I was able to get your sample door classes to work exactly as expected, both in your drawing and in mine.  This would indicate to me that there's a problem with the door objects I'm using, rather than a problem with a file setting.  I see that many of the classes are prefixed "Windoor", but I have not used the Windoor plug-in yet.  Is it possible that this is the difference between the two?  Pat Stanford, are you using Windoor or does the regular Vectorworks door tool really work as you are describing?

Thanks again.

Guest Wes Gardner

@Putman, the Windoor classes have nothing to do with the Windoor Plug-In.  The door and the bit of wall shown in the file you have were taken from a full project that has both windows and doors.  My personal method is to refer to the common elements in both windows and doors as "Windoor" - this saves me one class each time I use that methodology.  I apologize for the confusion. 

To a large degree, the number of classes and thus the "granularity" required on each project can vary a bit.  I like to class everything and therefore retain control ALL the way through a set of drawings.  Sometimes all those classes just aren't necessary.

Wes

OK. Doors have gotten way more complex since I last played with them.

For the Top/Plan view you have to set a class for the Trim (unfortunately there is only trim not interior and exterior) in the 2D Visualization pane of the Door settings dialog box.

For any 3D view you have to set a class for the Interior and/or Exterior Trim in the Classes pane of the Door Settings dialog box.

Once you do that you can turn on and off the visibility by using Class visibilities.

Anything that is set to <Door Class> inherits the class that the Door object is in.

HTH.

Hallelujah, I figured it out.

Under the 2D visualization panel, there is a pull down menu that says "Set Attributes By", which was set to "Object" instead of "Class".

That takes care of the issue.

Thanks, all!