Dimensioning to studs, not finish, in wall

Hello,

I'm new to VW. I've taken a wall with components - Ext 2x4 Stucco - and laid out a house. When I dimension the walls, the dimension tools only work properly at the edges of the wall. If I move a wall, the dimension moves with it.

However, if I dimension to the outside edge of the 2x4s, as is almost always done in US residential construction, and not to the outside edge of the wall, i.e., the outside edge of the stucco - the dimensions will not move (associate) when I move the wall.

Am I doing something wrong - can I "associate" dimensions with points inside a wall, such as the outside edge of the studs in the Ext-2x4-Stucco wall, or am I stuck manually updating dimensions when I move walls?

What do experienced VW users do?

Thanks

FWIW, I do all my dimensioning by hand (with the dimension tool) in the annotations of the VP. That way I can place (and snap) dimensions to any point I want. I do it very carefully and it takes some time. To me it's an excellent exercise and worth the investment. I almost never fully dimension a plan until the final WD's stage. For prelim's I usually just call out square footage and room sizes, etc. with maybe a couple overall dim's.

Begin with a Col. Centerline Grid Plan ( change it as you work things out ) and set up every Plan sheet , Elevation, Section & ViewPort to it. It's much easier to align objects like walls to true centerlines. Then after all is said and done follow CIPES advise to the final dimensioning & notations...

it?s typical to dimension to the structural component (part) of the wall. In your situation it would be wonderful to be able to turn off the other wall components and then dimension the structural components. If properly implemented it would allow for associative dimensioning, just as you want.

Alas, we don?t have that yet in vw12, but we hope....

Thanks for your input, all. I really appreciate it.

It seems that there could be a reference line added to walls. There already is, in a sense, as there is a line that determines where you draw the wall from. Perhaps later in verison 12 we'll be able to snap to that line with associated dimensions.

CipesDesign, do you do all of your annotation in viewports now? Is that the preferred working method? I haven't used VW since version 8, and back then I would have put the dimension in the same layer as the walls I was dimensioning.

Is it better to make all annotations, even notes, etc..., in the view ports? If so, do you all use "views" anymore at all, or just viewports?

Larger question: is there a book somewhere that outlines a successful working methodology, say, for a house, perhaps?

Thanks

Brad