Rack U info in device objects

Hello,

When I add equipment into my rack layouts, the Location information (RackU) in the OIP for the matching device does not update, hence the info on the device symbol does not update.   I am unclear where to look for the solution in this new version of ConnectCAD.

However, when I move the equipment into a room square, the Location information does update.  

What am I missing?  Can you point me in a direction?

I've attached a test file.

Thanks

Device Placement Test File.vwx

In the rack elevation view, make sure your 2D racks are located in the correct rooms. Looking at your test file, a lot of the devices that were created by the "update rack elevation" function are set as "non-rack" devices. Make sure these are set to either full or half-rack devices and also make sure the RU height is set correctly.

With all of that said, I'm also having an issue in your file though. When I set devices to "full-rack" and set an RU height, the width of the devices are changing to 0". I suspect this might have to with your file having units set to feet/inches.

As a test I copied all of your schematic devices to a new blank ConnectCad file using the ConnectCad.sta template (which is metric by default). I then used the "update rack elevation" function and created a new room and rack. I was then able to add equipment to a rack as expected.

@Conrad Preen Any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Daniel,

You are becoming and honorary staff member !!! Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge. From what I see the units are not causing the issue. The equipment object appear to be corrupt. If I create an equipment item in a new file from the standard template and paste it into hiho's drawing it functions perfectly...

@hihosilvey Was this file originated in an earlier version? Anything you can tell me about how we got to this point would be useful.

This one is going to the lab for analysis. What Daniel suggests as a "therapy" sounds good.

Conrad

Thanks you to you both for the help.

The template is a new VW2020 template that was built upon my original one.  But the devices are mix of new object from connectCAD 2019 and new ones from 2020.  I am using imperial units.  I guessing that's now a problem?

I did notice the issue with the Rack Units when I would try and build devices...

I guess I need to go back and rebuild all of my devices in 2020..

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If there is an issue with imperial units that's a bug and we will fix it. I haven't checked right now but I do remember a fix for something like that recently. What still puzzles me is the behavior of your Equipment objects. When I use the standard template but change the units to feet and inches everything works normally. But your file is different and I'd really like to know how it got that way.

Conrad

Conrad,

This file was born of a template that has evolved over different versions of VW.  It encompasses custom layers, classes, etc, that allow us to build an entire construction drawing set (floor/ceiling plans, rigging layouts, High voltage layouts, connectCAD schematics) out of one VW file.  When I upgraded to VW2020 my template was still available, so that's what I used to create this file.  It's my first CC2020 schematic.  

I'd be happy to help you if I can.