Converting irregular width polygon to generic wall

Hi.
Do you know if I can convert a 2D polygon, of irregular depth, to a single leaf generic wall? The context is that I have an existing, solid building wall (of varying depths) and I'd like to convert it into a generic wall. I can then insert windows, join new walls, etc.

Thank you.

Guest Wes Gardner

@Duncan Gunn, depending on how irregular the wall is, I think I'd model it using an extrude (you can extrude your polygon into 3D space) and then use Add/Subtract Soild to create holes where the doors and windows will be. Doors and windows can then be "set" in the holes (they won't be hosted into the wall like if you used the wall tool) and will give a pretty fair representation.  You won't be able to join this to walls at the corners so you'll need to do a bit of "digital carpentry/masonry" to get a corner to look OK

Wes

Unfortunately, there is probably no good way to do what you are asking. This is a longstanding shortcoming of using VW's wall tool for BIM. There is also no way to convert any sort of generic solid into a generic wall. For all intents and purposes, the walls aren't really 3d objects; they are parametric objects that have 3d-esque properties. Hopefully, in the future, this will change.

To model walls with irregular thicknesses, you can set up a generic wall of an average thickness and establish lower and upper projection classes that show the walls above and below in their thickened state (using 3d solid model geometry). Wall projections and recesses can also be used to sculpt the walls, but these objects do not go around corners, and they are glitchy.

Conversely, you can do your whole model in solid modeling as Wes suggests, and cut horizontal section viewports. Using horizontal section cuts works okay-ish, but you quickly run into 2d plan representational issues, depending on the level of documentation you require.

We have settled on the first approach. This allows plans to look pretty good, but the model to read. Wall sections can be set to merge structural objects with the same structural fill.

Good luck!

Edited by cberg
  • Like 1