Editing 3d part of hybrid symbol in 2020

In the past, I have created hybrid symbols by converting the 2d objects to a symbol, then creating the 3d version in the 2d edit space.  Then the different modes automatically separate themselves.  With v2020, I can no longer do that.  As soon as I create a 3d object in the 2d edit space, it disappears.  I can no longer put together a 3d object from parts, add and subtract them, then exit the 2d space.  Nor can I add to a 3d object it its edit space, since every time I create a 2d object for an extrude it disappears.  Very disappointing lack of understanding on the part of VW engineers regarding our typical workflows.  Or am I missing something?

And now we have the highly complex "component" system for hybrid objects.  Not worth the time to get into that, in my opinion.  Is there any way to opt out of that?

Edited by P Retondo

Just use the 3D and Top modes and the new way is the same as the old way.  Objects that are Screen Plane will show up in the Top portion and everything else will end up in the 3D portion.

I am not seeing what you are describing. I drew a Rectangle and created a symbol. Edited the Symbol. Drew a rounded Rectangle and Extruded it. Nothing moved to the other part until I exited the symbol.

I then edited the 3D, drew a circle, extruded it. No problem.

If I am in the 3D part and create a Screen Plane object instead of a Symbol Definition object, then it immediately jumps to the 2D part of the symbol.

Pat, thanks for chiming in.  Following your suggestion, if I change my 2d preferences to "Working Plane Only," I can create a 2d object in the 3d edit space that persists as a "Symbol Definition" type (just the fact that this additional 2d object type exists is a red flag!  Kluge!).  If I use my standard "Screen Plane Only" preference, the object immediately disappears and is visible as part of the 2d symbol.  If this difference in the result depends on 2d object preferences, I'd call it a programming oversight.  If a Layer Plane object can be automatically converted to "Symbol Definition" type, so could a Screen Plane object.

I can't get an extrude to persist in 2d edit space - that's where I can't replicate what you are getting.  It immediately disappears, and shows up in the 3d symbol.  It actually disappears even before I complete the extrude operation.  I don't understand why the "old way" had to be changed - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Edited by P Retondo

Thanks, Mark - I double checked, and my Unified View settings include displaying screen and plane objects.  Tried "active layer only" both ways, no difference.

Pat, the more I think about it, the behavior of screen 2d objects in 3d edit space is probably a bug.  Try it.