Worksheet Itemized list in different catagories

I'm stuck,

See attached Excel worksheet image for clarification of what I'm trying to do in VW.  I've created a worksheet in Vectorworks with four different database rows in it.  Each database row calculates, summarize, and displays information in a different layout than the others, but the one thing they have in common is that they all get their information from the same three layers in the VW drawing.  What I'd like to do is create one place (C14,D14, and E14 in attached image) that can determine what layers are used in the four databases (rows 20, 22, 24, and 26), so the user doesn't have to edit the criteria for each database.  Is that possible? 

In excel I can create a cell that has a pull-down list of values the user can choose from.  If it's possible,  I would love to do that in the VW worksheet where the pull down is a list of the layers in the VW document, then each database row would reference those cells to determine which layers to look at.  I am comfortable writing my own script if that's helpful, but am hoping there's an easier way to do this within the worksheets.

Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 12.00.06 PM.png

Edited by DCarpenter

VW Worksheets don't have the ability to do the pop-down menu like Excel, but you can certainly use a cell value as part of the criteria of the database, but you have to manually edit the criteria instead of using the automatic criteria builder.

If you have a "limited" number of layers, could you put each layer name in a separate row and use an extra column to put a mark (X) in that column to specify the layer. Set up an extra cell to use a bunch of nested IF statements to get the selected Layer name =IF(B4='X', C4, IF(B5='X', C5, 'No Layer Selected'))

To manually edit the criteria. Use the criteria editor and after you hit OK, the criteria string will be displayed in the formula bar. Click in and edit as necessary.

Pat,

Bummer, but thank you for your alternative solution.  Trying to make it as simple as possible in order to safeguard it from being messed up by the end user.  Your suggestion got me thinking about another possibility.  Thankful for your prompt reply and accessibility.

Dave