AEC > Fit walls to objects

jtempleton

Question

Hello friends- I have  ongoing issues with walls fitting to roofs. This slows me down a lot when trying to create basic elevations. The resulting behavior when using this command sometimes works beautifully, but more often is erratic, producing undesired results (or none at all). My question is not about how to get the feature to work, because I think I've tried all the things. New layers, pasting into new files, saving as a new file, restart the program. Fiddle with wall settings & styles. Revise z location of roof  layer to be slightly above the wall layer, and things of this nature.  But if you have encountered something along those lines that works, I'm glad to hear about it.

What I'm looking for is your best workarounds since I've given up on the feature working consistently. I need to stop wasting time trying to figure it out in every project. My solution so far is to draw over the roof and wall geometry to get the desired look in elevation and section viewports. This works fine, but when windows change, I also have to edit the polygons, if roof pitch changes, same thing. Looking for a better workflow and or magic. I do mostly small residential projects. Please advise. Running VW 2019  on MacBook pro w/ high sierra 10.13.6 NVIDIA T 750M 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. 

4 answers to this question

Roof layer is above wall layer. I am not sure I can upload the whole file here. I tried one earlier and it never loaded. I think it would be too large. Walls that are not story aware seems to help. So does setting a wall height on the, in this case, second floor layer, that is well below the roof layer (as a workaround) rather than setting the second floor to the intended height.   2024552766_ScreenShot2020-04-30at2_46_23PM.thumb.png.c557f0702535f65352d408d1feb1186b.png1455046823_ScreenShot2020-04-30at2_22_31PM.thumb.png.229f021d90c8d31937e2382e8ea88540.png

I frequently create a separate throwaway layer when fitting walls to objects.  I use the 3d modeling tools to extract the plane of the roof to this new layer.  You have to make sure that the extracted plane is converted to a 3d polygon or NURBS surface. 

This enables you to fully understand how the walls are fitting to the object, and I think you will have more success.  When you fit to clean planar 3d geometry there are fewer problems.  Fitting walls to a roof or roof plane, sometimes doesn't work properly. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 5.57.37 PM.png

Edited by cberg
Accidentally hit "send"
  • Like 1