Length of a line

Melissa PDX

Question

For a line created with the simple line tool, where can I find the Length of the line in the OIP? (select the little circle and it's the "L: " measurement?)

For a polyline, same question? Where can I find the length (Perimeter?)

Thanks,

~Melissa

PS - Hey vectorworks...it would be helpful to have this information in the help articles about lines! Lots of people have asked this question with no clear answer other than people telling them to create a worksheet -- way more than needed if one just wants to know the length of one simple little freakin' line (without measuring it in Dims/Notes)!

6 answers to this question

For the length of a line, switch the Object Info Palette into Polar Modes instead of Cartesian Mode. On the left side of the OIP just to the left of the ∆Y field is a button that looks kind of like a bullseye. The button above (that looks like two crossed lines) switches it back to Cartesian.

For a poly line, the Perimeter and Area are shown at the bottom of the OIP below the Reverse Direction button. If it is an Open polygon, the Perimeter will actually be the length of all of the displayed edges.

• Like 1

Hey Pat!

OK, sweet. The bullseye thing is where I found the "L:" measurement. so you've confirmed I'm ok there.

Re. the poly line-- 

Sorry, some of these terms are new to me...so if it's a poly line that doesn't form a closed shape, the length of the entire thing (from end to end, all the individual little line sections added up) is the perimeter? So 173' 1.438" for the line selected in this screenshot? 

Thank you SO much for responding so fast!! 

~Melissa

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.01.13 PM.png

Edited by Melissa PDX

I can't tell from your drawing (too small for my old eyes), but yes, the 173.XXX should be the length of the red polyline.

The part I can't tell is if the orange (?) extensions on the left end and at the top left are part of the polyline. If you drew them out and then back and continued the poly, then you would have two coincident segments and it would count as twice the length. If they are not part of the poly you should be good.

Welcome to the group!

Hi again,

They are not part of the polyline. It's hard to tell with the long polyline selected, but it's blue not orange. The fact that it's selected makes it look red, but it's not. 

Thank you again for your help! I'm doing homework and it just sucks when I can't move forward because I don't have the info I need. 

Really appreciate the lightening fast responses.

~M

Edited by Melissa PDX

Not to hijack the thread, but to the point about an item's perimeter in the OIP. I think I've submitted a wish some time ago to have the perimeter or the area in the OIP a value that can be selected. Right now it's just a value that shows up that one must note rather than use.

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 17.30.05 (2).png

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 3