Plant Symbols - is there a file already built with all of them inserted?

Five or so versions back one of our local Landmark users insisted on having all of the plants installed in one file.  The file was very large and it became unwieldy.  I tried to talk her into making it a user library file that she accessed but she insisted on it being her Template file.  That was not a wise decision.

Making a file with your favourite resources in it is useful, but be frugal and don't include things you rarely use.

30 minutes ago, mike m oz said:

Five or so versions back one of our local Landmark users insisted on having all of the plants installed in one file.  The file was very large and it became unwieldy.  I tried to talk her into making it a user library file that she accessed but she insisted on it being her Template file.  That was not a wise decision.

Making a file with your favourite resources in it is useful, but be frugal and don't include things you rarely use.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice 🙂

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@mike m oz is right if you are putting them in one file you should not have them in a template file. also do you know how to create new plant symbols? I have always found them to be exactly what I want with the info and 3D the way I prefer. Always an option. Also If there are plants you like you could start a favorites file or a workgroup library to contain them. this makes it drag and drop .

1 minute ago, bgoff said:

@mike m oz is right if you are putting them in one file you should not have them in a template file. also do you know how to create new plant symbols? I have always found them to be exactly what I want with the info and 3D the way I prefer. Always an option. Also If there are plants you like you could start a favorites file or a workgroup library to contain them. this makes it drag and drop .

So I take it the file I am looking for does not exist...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@jeff prince When I started at Vectorworks 12 years ago, I tried to assemble the same thing, but as a template file. For the same @bgoff and @mike m oz stated, this was a bad idea. Now, to make a library file of all these available plants is possible, it may not be as practical as if you did this with plant objects which were preconfigured with names, sizes, 3D representations, recommended spacings, etc.. Then, I think you will have something. The challenge for the company to do this is in that we have so many users across the globe that the palette would be changing drastically from one place to another. Even in the US, we see this most distinctly in California where designers from one part of the state to the another have a vastly different plant palette because the regional microclimates require plants with different tolerances and requirements...and most importantly availability. If you are seeking a file that has every object in it without preconfigured anything (not named, not identified with an accurate 3D representation, spacing etc.) that can happen, but less meaningful to the majority of our users...this is the reason we have not assembled this yet.

I am reading Jeff's query differently. I think he just wants a place he can see all of the graphical representations of plants in one place by category. 

Would it be possible to just place the symbols of the plants (versus the plants themselves) in a file without making it too heavy?

Or maybe I am wrong about what he wants.

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

I am reading Jeff's query differently. I think he just wants a place he can see all of the graphical representations of plants in one place by category. 

Would it be possible to just place the symbols of the plants (versus the plants themselves) in a file without making it too heavy?

Or maybe I am wrong about what he wants.

Yes, that is one of my objectives for sure.  Sorry I didn’t phrase it better.

I’m getting ready to customized my symbol library and figured it would be nice to have everything in one place for mass editing and standardization.  This would culminate in a physical book of symbols showing relative size and graphic to pic from to compliment the resource manager.

The other lesser one was to visually see the default reuse of symbols in the list like the image I posted above.

7 of the 19 plants essentially use the same symbol in the Cactus/Succulents category.  I imagine this is fairly widespread across the plant groups, it would be nice to see what I have to work with.

And even lesser, I also had an interest in seeing the 3D representations all in one place to see what I might reuse and help identify what I need to make.  I figure I would want to do that by type of plant ,such as palms, to simplify operations.

Ultimately, I’ll probably migrate my AutoCAD stuff over since it is very well developed.  I just happen to like graphics of some of the VW symbols.

• 2 years later...