The best / most easy 2nd party render software

For most of my work, I like Open GL with a Sketch filter as it communicates the design intent, while keeping things a bit rough so clients don't feel the design is "Finished".

That said, we are being asked for more "realistic" renders more and more. Camera Match has it's advantages and RW is fine for many of these clients but we are being shown examples that I don't think I can reproduce in RW.

I know that one of the best things about VW is there's more than one way to skin a cat, but I'm curious if there's one best 2nd party render software to take renders to the next level. I think that Cinema 4D was often seen as the default but is this still the case? I don't know what I don't know so this question may not have a clear answer, and from looking around the forum, I really don't get a clear direction.  

What are others using to take renders to a more photo realistic level?

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I think that Cinema 4D was often seen as the default but is this still the case?

RW is basically C4D.

You can get about 90% of C4D Quality in VW RW.

The rest is mostly just more comfort in organizing, setting up and rendering.

But if you have C4D you can add VRAY for C4D,

which will deliver the highest quality in (ArchViz) Rendering if you need.

Or Corona and what not ....

And very interesting are the current Real Time Renderers with decent quality

vs full CPU Rendering. Which you can use also directly from VW by Plugins.

Like Lumion, Enscape (Beta) and Twinmotion (Plugin soon ?)

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

@zoomer @Kevin Allen @TomWhiteLight I guess my RW skills need some work. I find it really hard work to light, find & edit textures. I've used the cloud rendering but the issue I find is the lag time between what I've done & what needs to be changed. As I say, I guess I need to work at RW more to improve my renders.

Get in touch with the US training team and I am sure a good online session would set you up. It's worth getting the custom render style right on your machine first then using the cloud to do the hard work.

10 hours ago, zoomer said:

Try Enscape Beta.

It works pretty ok with VW RW setups and is basically a one button solution.

EDIT

Yes, beside Twinmotion, most Real Time solutions are Windows only.

I like Twinmotion very much though.

I use two realtime programs on the Mac, Artlantis and Keyshot, both available for Mac and Windows. So, it's not all Windows.

I have to say that I much prefer realtime rendering. It's definitely the way to go in the future. You may not get to exactly the same the final rendering quality, but close enough, and you save a lot of time. 

• Like 1

@Jim Smith  I think if you want real photorealistic you should factor in sending it out to a 3d vis company.  Renderworks is basic and more for outline communication / design intent with clients , while the 3d vis companies do the brochures / sales buff stuff , with the nice lens flare and depth of field etc! 

The dedicated 3d render packages just have too many features missing from render works and ease of use.  

Definitely move from OpenGL to renderworks though - there's loads of sites for textures (poliigon.com , textures.com), an OpenGL v renderworks image below (image took 1min.23 secs in renderworks) 

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 11.35.49.jpg

Edited by fabrica
time of render
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, fabrica said:

@Jim Smith  I think if you want real photorealistic you should factor in sending it out to a 3d vis company.  Renderworks is basic and more for outline communication / design intent with clients , while the 3d vis companies do the brochures / sales buff stuff , with the nice lens flare and depth of field etc! 

The dedicated 3d render packages just have too many features missing from render works and ease of use.  

Definitely move from OpenGL to renderworks though - there's loads of sites for textures (poliigon.com , textures.com), an OpenGL v renderworks image below (image took 1min.23 secs in renderworks) 

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 11.35.49.jpg

hmm not sure I agree...

With some time and training VW might be enough. Also take a look at the design summit recording to see how we are improving these workflows in the next version.

Screenshot 2020-04-30 13.25.39.png

@TomWhiteLight you have to say that !   😀

but there's no way renderworks will ever have the ability or features of vray or corona etc , and all the associated plugins with those. (and nor should it as thats not its function) 

I like renderworks btw but its not for the high end arch viz renders some clients want.

you just can't do in renderworks the examples from here:  https://corona-renderer.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0 

My 2c - if you're on Windows Lumion knocks it out of the park for ease & speed, and it comes with a huge collection of entourage and materials that's pre-optimized. (<- is that even a word?)

I just rendered these a minute ago to show you. They are from a couple of the built-in example files. Rendered 1080p in 40s 31s 30s (s=Seconds!!!) respectively and I kid you not!!

And animations, are on a par with this. Think rain, fog, puddles, ocean, car paths, walking figures, moving clouds, leaves water etc. .... it's mind boggling when you see it.

332036354_Lumion1080pv201.thumb.jpg.e5c8d75c7f664c435805be1fd6536762.jpg

Lumion 1080p v101.jpg

Lumion 1080p v102.jpg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I guess my RW skills need some work. I find it really hard work to light, find & edit textures. I've used the cloud rendering but the issue I find is the lag time between what I've done & what needs to be changed. As I say, I guess I need to work at RW more to improve my renders.

Lighting and texture creation will be key to whatever you do and wherever you render. If you have some familiarity with renderworks and clearly have the program, part there.

I might suggest rather than try to render an entire project, start with simple forms, build textures, render those, see what works, then you can also ask specific question her "How do I make the XX better?"

Same with lighting, the fewer the lights, the better for speed no matter the application. Frankly, a lot can be done with the proper lights properly placed. Avoid the point light.

Look at Renderworks Styles, with and without HDRI illumination, you do not need to start with high quality or FQR. go for speed, test and repeat.

I;'m a Mac user, so I can't speak to mum ion, but Twinmotion requires a lot of computing power. It deliver magnificent work.Moving back and forth between VWX and C4D can be a bit tedious in the early design stages, but you can also use C4D to create textures for VWX.