align Clip Cube to workingplane

Hi Wes,

thanks for the reply 🙂

Hm, thats bad, since clip cube can only be rotated around the z-axis. So is there a workaround to get a section plane as shown here:

ClipCube.thumb.jpg.6173b1ff3719bc27d9b118e544804bc2.jpg

The only workaround I can imagine is to to rotate the the whole model, so the desired section plane is either parallel or perpendicular to the layer plane...

Guest Wes Gardner

@halfcouple, I'm pretty sure we're limited to the clip cube being normal to the ground plane as you've shown...not sure you can get a section cut like you want without doing exactly what you've suggested.

Wes

Ok, so this is a topic for the wish list ?

Wonder if I'm the only one who ever stumbled over the desire to create a clip cube section of a roof parallel to the slope or similar. 😟

Background: I'm creating a stage roof with complex rigging points and confusing truss structure, where a clip cube parallel to the slope and perpendicular to the working plane could be quite helpful with drawing details.

You can Section a Sheet Layer Viewport.

Make a standard sheet layer Viewport of the Front view and then run the section viewport command on the Front View Viewport. The resultant viewport should give you what you need.

Hope that works!

1169930440_Screenshot2020-04-29at15_51_10.thumb.png.20b6af5e482346c7082c33fb63789cff.png

Edited by markdd

Hi markdd,

thanks for your help !

Yes, you are right, this is the "old" way to create section views, before clip-cube sections were introduced. You can even go one step further and put the section viewport on a design layer, edit the view and create a 3D-section-viewport. But this method is quite buggy: When the viewport very detailed it terribly slows down the whole file, I even got crashes with that.

My original intention was not  to create a viewport,- I wanted to focus and work on a detail in the drawing, just as it can be done normally with the clip cube, but wanted to do this on the working  plane, not on the layer plane.