Defining insulation tile to scale in both X and Y dimension

Leovectorworks

Question

I'm trying to swap an insulation hatch for a tile hatch. In the tile settings there is the option to scale the definition along the y axis, but not the x axis. 

This means that when I want to change the insulation in my walls all at once, many of the insulation tiles are mapped awkwardly off centre, like in the attached image https://ibb.co/Tm5NBCF

Another way of looking at it - is it possible to make the tile exist in only one dimension, so when drawing the geometry there is only a grey repetition either side of the shape, and not either side AND up and down. That way i can use the same tile for say 15cm insulation as well as 5cm thick insulation

I am wanting to change insulation from hatch to tile in a reference file, for many files containing many walls. Re-centralising/localised mapping all of the walls will take me days... 

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Thanks very much @Boh 

That was exactly what I needed by dragging the repetitions

I haven't quite got the Fit to Wall to work properly shown by these three images

image 1 = original hatch
image 2 = After changing hatch to tile (just white..)
image 3 = After rotating 90 degree in Localised Mapping (off centre)

As you can see its still off centre. Do you know anyway I can prevent this. As I say I have hundred of walls... 

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 10.30.20.png

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 10.30.48.png

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 10.31.03.png

Hey Leo.

I had a quick look at your file. When you said "Walls" I thought you meant parametric vectorworks walls. So I had to think for a bit when I saw you were actually talking about 2d wall section details.

So firstly apologies as I don't use tile fills that much and only really in wall styles. So my first advice about x & y repetitions was incorrect. It doesn't matter if there are y repetitions.

Secondly, and this may not matter either, but it may be good practice to have your tile definition centred on 0,0. It is definitely good practice for symbol definitions and it doesn't hurt and may possibly avoid future issues with tile fills.

I noticed also that the polygon used for the tile geometry wasn't quite symmetrical which causes the fill to twist very slightly on an angle which will make it look weird especially when it is a long way from it's origin. 

(Just as an observation I also noticed you had your grid snap activated to an odd grid which may give you some odd geometry and possibly introduce inaccuracies.)

Anyway - to fix the tile fills in your file I've made a short video to show what I did. Essentially:

• Tidy up the tile fill geometry.
  • Select the rectangles with the tile fill.
  • In the Attributes palette click on the FIll Tile Settings icon. In the local mapping dialogue put a check next to "Use local mapping". Make the X offset = 2.4, the Y offset = 0, and J length =4.8. If all your details are oriented vertically in section like the ones in your file also make the rotation = 90°.

This should fix it.

Going forward I would recommend use the wall tool for this as the tile fill will automatically align and rotate with the wall. Alternatively there is also the Batt insulation tool in the Detailing toolset.

In Australasia we are lucky to have the OzCad Detailer tool which can draw whole editable wall sections complete with insulation, framing, cladding, building wrap and linings. Hopefully VW will one day include that in it's general release.

Good luck.

Bo

Wow what a great response, thanks so much. 

Yes you're right about the wall tool - I only recently joined the project and its been going on for a while.. too far to go back. 

Well spotted with both the polygon being slightly misaligned and the tile not centred. 

Ive now clashed with another problem which has happened a few times for me and other members of the team using a reference file. If you see in the image, the fIll settings sometimes goes grey and doesnt let me edit the local mapping. Any idea how this is so? If not I can write a new post, as couldnt find anything about this elsewhere.

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 19.05.05.png