CONNECTCAD ROOM FUNCTION

fjtb

Hi Conrad,

1770590788_Screenshot2020-04-26at13_06_41.thumb.png.06ac12dd9befdd5869e20b3e2f872967.png
Can you explain how the "Room" function works? I suppose you can add devices to a room or venue automatically, but its not the case during my tests. I'm also not able to assign a device to a room manually in the object info pallet.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Rooms live on the layout layer.

You need to do Update Rack Elevation to put whatever devices are on the current layer onto the layer Rack Elevation as Equipment Item objects. Then draw your Room there and maybe place a Rack too. Then you can assign Equipment Items to Rooms and Racks just by drag - dropping them in.

When you go back to your schematic you'll see that the location data is entered in the devices and displayed just under the description text.

Conrad

Oke that works... but: The device name or tag is connected to the room function. What means I need to add all my devices two times in my engineering. One time in the layout layer and one time in de schematic layer? Is that the case? Or is there a more efficient way to do this? Can I pull the devices from the schematic layer to the layout layer?

I prefer to have my schematic leading. So it would helpfull if I can draw the room in my schematic, is that also an option?

I'am now working on a project with more than 2500 items spreaded out over 63 venues , so some efficiency is helpfull 😉

Hi Frans

Thanks for your forthright comments. Right now it works the way I told you. The Update Rack Elevation command does most of the work for you - all you have to do is drag and drop your equipment into racks and rooms. Most people find that quite efficient. Obviously I'll keep your workflow in mind but any change would be for a future version.

Thanks!

Conrad

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Conrad, 

I am having trouble with the "Update Rack Elevation" command. No objects are populating on the 'rack elevation' layer  from my schematic layer. All schematic devices are physical, not virtual. Working from the ConnectCAD template file. 

Anything that I might be missing?

Thanks,

Not really. I created that how-to using the file you just sent me. Everything worked as expected.

I think you need to call Support go through it with them, and either they'll help you fix it or they'll file a bug and we will fix that.

Sorry, but if I can't reproduce the problem using the same file that you say doesn't work, I've run out of options.

Conrad

Hey Conrad, I worked with tech support on this and actually sorted out what my issue was based on your video you sent. I was using the "update rack elevation" command while I was in the 'Rack Elevation' layer. When I apply the command from the 'Schematic" layer, it works like a charm. I just wanted to let you know in case you run into something like that in the future. As a new CC user, I hope that as VWX continues to develop and improve ConnectCAD that the documentation and training materials for it improve along with it.

Thanks again for the help. I am sure I'll have further questions to bother you with as I integrate CC into our company template file and project workflow.

Cheers,

• Like 2