Transitional BIM Collaboration

I'm working on a small residential project that provided a nice opportunity for me to test a full BIM workflow within Vectorworks. In the past I have created two Vectorworks files: (a) a 2D drawing file for all design, coordination, and construction drawings and (b) a 3D model file to test design concepts and provide visualization for client review. This may not be the most efficient or modern way of working, but it provided two clear workstreams. Vectorworks is pretty great these workstreams, but the future is a combined BIM workflow.

On this residential project, I built a 3D model using stories, parametric objects, views, and annotations using current best practices. I quickly ran into the unnecessary complexity of stories, the limitations of custom doors and windows, a clumsy stair tool, and an impossible roof tool. For the most part, I worked through the pain. The other shoe fell when I was unable to generate usable sections and interior elevations. Those tools refused to function and support was unable to provide a workaround. So now I have a partial BIM model that can generate plans and exterior elevations, and traditional 2D drawings that provide sections, interior elevations, and details. This is totally fine within the Vectorworks ecosystem. These things coexist happily and produce a nice set of PDFs. All good, right?

Now I have to coordinate with structural and MEP engineers. In the past, I would export clean 2D base drawings and ignore my "dumb" 3D model. If I had a complete and detailed BIM model, I could share the model (e.g. Revit geometry, IFC data). Exporting cohesive information from my hybrid 2D/3D file is a complete nightmare. If I try to share clean 2D drawings, some sheets export correctly, while others produce a jumbled wireframe of the 3D model. If I try to export the 3D model, the information is woefully incomplete. Does anyone have any advice on how to manage this?

• Like 2

I typically use File > Export DWG to export design layers and sheets. Does Publish > DWG produce different results? My problem is that plans (generated from the model) and sections (created in 2D) export well and generate a representative drawing for coordination. The exterior elevations (generated from the model) become an unusable wireframe that looks nothing like the published drawings.

369857693_ScreenShot2020-04-24at2_32_49PM.thumb.png.183971a79b4e96b18af0716984b6649c.png

80579906_ScreenShot2020-04-24at2_29_56PM.thumb.png.12ea5faf4aad2fd54b89f8f719aae19f.png