How to do partial surface hatching?

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Vectorworks and using it to do garden design. At the moment I'm drawing an elevation perspective of a house. I'd like to be able to do a 'partial hatch' on the surfaces as I think it looks less busy and more artistic than having full coverage.

I've attached a couple of examples; one with full hatching in vectorworks, and one with brick details just in some places, i.e. corners etc. 

I'm conscious the latter one is hand-drawn, but wanted to see if that type of effect could be made in vectorworks, without having to do it manually by drawing each brick?

Thanks!

House with full hatching.JPG

House with partial hatching.JPG

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

you could use Tiles to fill the area. When creating the Tile create your irregular random hatching and space that image at some distance from each other in the repeat. I use this method often for hardscape and site drawings.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I often do pieces of hatching for similar reasons, but just in a polyline, and with edge switched off. If you use a curve towards the interior of a space/or away from an edge, you get a more natural fade effect. Put them in a new class and you can play with effects/styles.