Class, Record Data and Standards Template

Attempting to put together standards for our office which is planning to use VW through documentation. I've previously used VW only up through DD (only to create illustrative plans), not for documentation. I've used VW for some time now and understand the difference between classes and layers, but am just now learning about record data and creating worksheets / reports. This brings up the question - what is the benefit of having multiple classes when one can identify a material (just for example) through Record Data?

The addition of record data can create conflicting references. One object on the class "Material A" layer can have record data assigned to it as "B", or something similar.

Ex. File A

Classes - Concrete, Brick, Stone

The benefits I see here is that objects on these three classes can have defined properties at creation. Concrete is always blue, brick is always red...

Would you create a Record Format that uses "class" as a record column if you wanted a list of materials and area takeoffs?

Concrete - 100SF

Brick - 200SF

Stone - 300SF

Ex. File B

Classes - Materials

Record Data - Concrete, Brick, Stone

The benefit I see here is that there are less classes (1 vs. 3) and the application of record data, the ability to create a worksheet / report.

However, material properties (color, pattern, etc.) would have to be defined every time, making it difficult to create an office standard "look".

Is it one or the other, is there a different way or am I not understanding how Record Data relates it with classes?

On 4/24/2020 at 7:08 AM, bapelaj said:

what is the benefit of having multiple classes when one can identify a material (just for example) through Record Data?

This is how I see it:

Classes are used in two main ways:

1. To manage the visibilities of objects.
  2. To manage the attributes of objects.

Records are used for assigning information to objects.

So you are correct that you can identify a material through record data but managing visibilities and attributes of objects, whilst possible with data visualization, is much easier with classes.

I think most experienced VW users would use multiple classes and get good at managing them ( i.e like in your file A example). There are techniques for class name standards, filtering etc that make managing multiple classes not a really big deal. I have over 200 different classes in my standard project template file.

As you mention, in your file A you could use "Class" as a column in a schedule to describe a material type however I think in more complex projects this may be a little too simplistic. You may have several different types of concrete that require there own classes (to control visibilities or attributes). In general I think it would probably better to include a field in your record for "Type". It would require you manage the data well (so for example a brick type is not on a "Concrete" class) I think it will give you more flexibility.

Interesting note that VW have just announced they will be introducing a new resource type called "Materials" in a future release which can be used for take-offs. So this will affect how we manage finishes in files.

Thanks for the input, Boh. More than one way to peel an orange.

I feel that VW gives you lots of ways  or options do the same thing. Now that I'm getting into it, I can see how one can "over-design" class / layer / file structure.

Looking forward to seeing the "materials" resource VW will be releasing.