Marionette question: get object info

Kennedyme

There was a thread on this something in the last year I think. Basically, the Marionette needs to include nodes to copy the dimension data into a Record.Field attached to the object. Then that Record.Field data can be accessed using the normal worksheet methods.

But it will not be a direct 2-way worksheet link unless you do extra work in the Marionette to read the record data and use that to redraw the object and then rewrite the data out. This is unlike typical PIOs where a change in the Worksheet is the same as a change in the OIP.

@Pat Stanford Thank you. This seems far more elaborate and advanced than what I am trying to do. Sorry, but I think I need to have things a bit more basically laid out for me.

When I draw rectangles using the rectangle tool, I need a way to do 2 things:

First, I want to have the ability to enter our (previously) assigned item number, and have it be linked to that object and show up on top of that object (like a data tag). I also want that item number to get entered into a worksheet at the same time.

Second, I want to have that objects width and height to automatically show up on the same worksheet in their respective columns.

I have linked text to records and created spreadsheets before, but I have always had to manually enter the dimensions myself. It seems like an unnecessary extra step. Do the rectangles have to be turned into something different, first?

I have created a work-around that uses the space tool, but it has way too many other options/extraneous info, and this is something will be doing a lot of this, basically forever.

See the attached image for my space tool work-around.

Mark

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.56.58 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are you using spaces so that you can use the record? it isn't too difficult to make your oun record format with the fields you need and connect them to the Graphic in the drawing. Making the Graphic a symbol or a group will allow you to attach the record. If you have lots of standard Graphic types you might want to make a symbol for each type then they will all have the same dimensions, or you can just make them groups. 

In projects with lots of rectangular graphics I will make a symbol of a graphic rectangle with a record for the graphic attached to it. I make the Symbol convert to a group then I can scale it with the selection tool after placing it. The Graphic Number will be stored in the record attached to the object.

You can then create a worksheet listing all of the records, or all of the Graphics in a section etc. The Dimensions can be read from the rectangle itself under "functions" when you're setting up the Worksheet.  You can then tag the graphic in the Annotations of the Viewport.

If you have Architect, you can change the information in the Worksheet in list form and it will update the record attached to the Graphic itself. I've found this a huge time saver. I can't belive how much time this would have saved over the years while I was using Fundamentals.

You can use this same tequnique for Artifacts and Cases as well.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, iswope said:

Are you using spaces so that you can use the record? it isn't too difficult to make your oun record format with the fields you need and connect them to the Graphic in the drawing. Making the Graphic a symbol or a group will allow you to attach the record. If you have lots of standard Graphic types you might want to make a symbol for each type then they will all have the same dimensions, or you can just make them groups. 

In projects with lots of rectangular graphics I will make a symbol of a graphic rectangle with a record for the graphic attached to it. I make the Symbol convert to a group then I can scale it with the selection tool after placing it. The Graphic Number will be stored in the record attached to the object.

You can then create a worksheet listing all of the records, or all of the Graphics in a section etc. The Dimensions can be read from the rectangle itself under "functions" when you're setting up the Worksheet.  You can then tag the graphic in the Annotations of the Viewport.

If you have Architect, you can change the information in the Worksheet in list form and it will update the record attached to the Graphic itself. I've found this a huge time saver. I can't belive how much time this would have saved over the years while I was using Fundamentals.

Yes, exactly! Do you use the data tag tool to have the unique item # appear on the drawing and in the worksheet simultaneously? I typically create my own marker symbol with linked text items that relate directly to certain categories of information (and, thus, separate columns in the worksheet).  Example: GR-04.02.21 'GR' for graphic 04 for section, 02 for subsection, .21 for the item in sequence. 

I think, what I was missing previously was the possibility of the 'function' option to extract the dimensions directly from the object and inserting it into the worksheet without needing to create data fields for entering the dimensions manually. 

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by Kennedyme
On 6/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, iswope said:

Do you also work in the museum field? I have found information management tools to be extremely helpful. The trick is adapting them to the peculiar needs of this field.

yes, I've worked for a bunch of design firms in the Boston Area, AMAZE (just after Wetzel left), CCA, Main Street and a couple of other stops in between.

I've started using the tagging and record tools fairly recently since most of my Vectorworks experience was on Fundamentals which is pretty limited as far as easily changing records.