Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Run several tools if boolean is selected.

Alessio

Hi All,

I created some tools to generate workseets with record information of some custom symbols.

Now i want to create a tool were I can select the sheetname that I want to generate.

I started a new tool and then at "Edit Definition" I created some booleans with the sheet names i want to generate.

Can someone tell me how to start the script?
I want it to be like: If One boolean is selected than it runs the tool that generates the worksheets and if more booleans are selected it runs all selected tools.

Kind Regards,

Alessio

Knipsel.JPG

What do you mean by Tools? Are these actually Plug-in Tools that live in a tool palette? Or are these just scripts?

If they are just scripts I don't think there is a way to call a different script from another script.

If you don't mind them being Menu Commands, you might be able to make Plug-in Commands, add them to your workspace and run them using the Do Menu Text By Name. But I am not sure that Do Menu Text By Name will work with custom commands.

Hopefully someone will point out how to run a script from within a script and we will both learn something ;-)

21 minutes ago, JBenghiat said:

To add to what Pat said, the screen shot looks like you may be trying to use a custom object in order to perform a series of tasks. What you seem to want is a custom menu command that uses a custom dialog.

I want it to be like:  Select tool -> click drawing -> get dialoge screen with screen selection -> press oke -> generate all the selected Worksheets.

1 hour ago, Alessio Meerman said:

I want it to be like:  Select tool -> click drawing -> get dialoge screen with screen selection -> press oke -> generate all the selected Worksheets.

Hm, that is a very off-label use of a tool. Why not use a menu command — that would save you several extra clicks? You would still need to create a custom dialog for what you describe.

56 minutes ago, JBenghiat said:

Hm, that is a very off-label use of a tool. Why not use a menu command — that would save you several extra clicks? You would still need to create a custom dialog for what you describe.

Oke i am completly new at this. Is there a manual somewhere how i can set it up?

As Joshua was saying, normally a tool is used only if what you are doing requires a click in the drawing, for instance to select an object or to set an insertion point for an object. And normally tools do not open dialog boxes asking for more input after they are started.

Menu Commands are normally used for activities that either don't care about what is in the drawing or that will operate on the current selection and run immediately without requiring a click in the drawing. Menu commands often do open dialog boxes for more information.

See the Scale Objected Menu command versus the reshape tool (or selection tool). Both can be used to scale an object, but in very different ways. There is room for both ways of working it just depends on what works best for you.

As far as I know, this information is not really written down anywhere other than a variety of posts to the forum. I thought there were a couple of pinned threads at the top of the Vectorscript Forum, but I don't see them. I will see if I can find the links.

12 hours ago, JBenghiat said:

Hi Josh,

I changed the script from a tool to a menu command and tried triggering it with "Do Menu Text By Name" and that worked perfect.

i also created a Custom dialog with checkboxes.

How can i make a checkbox listen to a "DoMenuTextByNamen"if it is checked?

Here is the script for the dialog:

PROCEDURE CreateDialog;
VAR
id: LONGINT;
result : LONGINT;

BEGIN
id := CreateLayout('Create Screen Report',TRUE,'Create', 'Cancel');

CreateStaticText(id,5,'Select Screens:',-1);
    CreateCheckBox(id,6,'All Screens');
    CreateCheckBox(id,7,'Screen 1');
    CreateCheckBox(id,8,'Screen 2');
    CreateCheckBox(id,9,'Screen 3');
    CreateCheckBox(id,10,'Screen 4');
    CreateCheckBox(id,11,'Screen 5');
    CreateCheckBox(id,12,'Screen 6');
    CreateCheckBox(id,13,'Screen 7');
    CreateCheckBox(id,14,'Screen 8');
    CreateCheckBox(id,15,'Screen 9');
    CreateCheckBox(id,16,'Screen 10');

SetFirstLayoutItem(id, 5);
    SetBelowItem (id,5,6,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,6,7,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,7,8,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,8,9,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,9,10,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,10,11,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,11,12,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,12,13,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,13,14,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,14,15,0,0);
    SetBelowItem (id,15,16,0,0);

SetHelpText(id,6,'This will create all screens combined in one report.');

result := RunLayoutDialog(id,NIL);
END;
RUN(CreateDialog);

You next step is to create a dialog handler. The handler function runs when the dialog first opens and every time the user interacts with an element in the dialog. The handler has item as one of its arguments, which corresponds to the id of each dialog element. 

In your case, the handler will respond to the ok button (item 1), and get the value of each check box. You can either create your worksheets during the ok event, or use global variables to store the Boolean values and act accordingly after the dialog has exited. 

see examples here: https://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/VS:Creating_a_Custom_Dialog_Box