Worksheet, wall record, wall length..

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In all versions of VectorWorks, you can use the LENGTH() function to return the wall length in worksheets.

In VectorWorks 12, you additionally have the following functions for walls:

WALLAREA_GROSS -- returns the surface area of the wall center line

WALLAREA_NET -- returns the surface ares of the wall centerline, not including area of inserted symbols or objects

WALLAVERAGEHEIGHT -- returns the average height of the wall (this is the actual wall area taking into account "wall peaks" divided by the length of the wall).

WALLTHICKNESS, and

WALLSTYLENAME

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I start on this thread because the main "worksheet" thread turned out as a private discussion...eh eh

I am trying to use more and more worksheets, went ok with window/door schedule, using database headers and so on..

Then I intended to use some quantity report for roof and wall. However I can't understand what is calculated by the "WallArea_Gross", "WallArea_Net"...

Example:

I have a wall of 7.9m x 2.65m with two french door of 1.8m x 2.1 m

Area gross=7.9x2.65=20.935 sqm but VW value =23.427 sqm ???

Area Net=20.935 -(2x1.8x2.1) = 13.375 but VW value =18.095 sqm ???

I tried to work it out but it's just doesn't make sense to me,

Am I wasting my time using this worksheet, I need to order some building material shortly...

Thanks for your reply.

WALLAREA_GROSS -- returns the surface area of the wall center line

WALLAREA_NET -- returns the surface ares of the wall centerline, not including area of inserted symbols or objects

So These definition are wrong, who knows the real definition of these codes ??

I tried the formula volume/wallthickness doesn't work.... the volume function returns me 0.00 for some wall (I think those one that have no opening..)

A real waste of time, I stopped digging...

i tried some stuff about the walls and i found some stuff but let me tell you first about a bug in VW 11.5 that i found a year ago:

if you make a connection between 3 walls with an L and a T connection, the volume calculated in the worksheet gives you 0,000000000xxx. so that was the big problem in my calculation program i tried to make.

this problem is solved in VW 12, although there is still something wrong with it! that's what i found out now, so here it comes:

*if all your walls are not joined in any way, the result is correct.

*if you join walls from the same thickness in any way, the result is correct.

*if you join walls from different thickness in any way, the result is not the same. although the difference is minimal

so the fact is that there is no bug or a faulty thing in it.

it is just how those functions calculate. if you take the volume/thickness, you'll get the correct result. the functions like wallarea_gross etc. uses the center line of your wall, and if you look at the connection between walls, you'll notice that the end and begin points change when you make your connections. the worst is with a 3way join with walls of different thickness. so the minimal difference between the results of volume/thickness and wallarea_net is because of wallarea_net uses the center line from begin to endpoint.

i hope it's understandeble.

maybe you could send the file to me? then i can take a look at it?