Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

rename more classes into the same class-name

We actually are reworking on our class-organization in the office.

There are a few ways to batch-rename more than one class in Vectorworks, for example by using an excel-generated tab-stop separated worksheet/text-file...

However, every way I try does not solve an important issue:

Renaming different classes into the same class-name unfortunately doesn't work.

However, simplyfieing our class structure is one of the main goals of this task.

So, does anyone have an idea how to accomplish this job most efficiently and easily?

For example a script, which deletes all classes with the appendix *-2, *-3, *-4... and moves the class-content to the * called class... could be an idea, somehow. However I'm not sure if it really works...

thanks a lot!

The challenge is that if you have any objects in the eliminated classes in other files (like your libraries for instance) you will have to remove them remove them there as well.  Otherwise, when you import objects that have the extraneous classes assigned to them, they will automatically be added back into your new file.

We're in the process of doing this very task ... and it means going through each library file and converting it to the new class structure.  @michaelk 's solution is the best one out there. 

13 hours ago, michaelk said:

The simplest way might be to delete the *-2, *-3, *-4 classes.  You will get a dialog box giving you the option to delete the objects in those classes or assign those objects to another class.

that's an option, of course, however it does imply a lot of handwork, and the less "handwork" I have to do, the more I prevent doing mistakes, and spending time 😉

it's a job to me, which could be done automated more quickly and efficiently

12 hours ago, Taproot said:

The challenge is that if you have any objects in the eliminated classes in other files (like your libraries for instance) you will have to remove them remove them there as well.  Otherwise, when you import objects that have the extraneous classes assigned to them, they will automatically be added back into your new file.

sure 🙂 if I could do sth like this with an automated procedure, that would be great...