Hi guys,

I've been working with some tools to improve my planting schemes.

The Plant tools already a very complete tool but there's a lack on it: random planting schemes. The normal reply would be the Landscape Area Tool. Take the following example: a certain area, choose 3 species and there you go.

image.thumb.png.f3003ea3e52bd6d1e32035e033f89aa9.png

There is one problem: it doesn't give us the individual planting scheme in 2D, but it appears in 3D mode:

image.thumb.png.196677171d6b6e596da7fa63f44b1bf6.png

I explored a very interesting Marionnette Object that would help:

The result:

image.thumb.png.a5e2d4877a2dc3f8bd8ce671f6b5a2da.png

image.thumb.png.2ecfd2bbafd4787b1639bdf3b494f5ba.png

But there is a problem: it doesn't give you the control that the Landscape Area Tool allows (qty/m2, %, etc.)

So, am I missing someting or maybe this would fit on the Wishlist Forum? It's obvious that the information is on the Landscape Area object (otherwise it wouldn't give us a 3D representation and quantities). Why don't make it available on 2D representation? This would be important for Executive Plans, sometimes it is a little to vague to let that information missing.

Thanks!!!

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @jpccrodrigues,

I think this is a great wish. For the time being try ungrouping the landscape area -- this is a nice trick if you want the individual plant objects in 2D but NOTE you will lose the ability to adjust the overall shape of the landscape area as they will now be "x" number of plant objects instead. Afterward, you can select similar plants and change the plant grouping so they act as one object when placing labels.

Hope this helps, for now!

Tony

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Tony Kostreski said:

Hi @jpccrodrigues,

I think this is a great wish. For the time being try ungrouping the landscape area -- this is a nice trick if you want the individual plant objects in 2D but NOTE you will lose the ability to adjust the overall shape of the landscape area as they will now be "x" number of plant objects instead. Afterward, you can select similar plants and change the plant grouping so they act as one object when placing labels.

Hope this helps, for now!

Tony

Thank you Tony, I had never tried to ungoup a Landscape Area, this it's a very good help!!!

13 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Since the Landscape Area Ungroups to individual objects, you might want to Group it first, Edit the Group, and then ungroup the Landscape Area. That way you know that you have not lost any of the plants and can move or delete them together is necessary.

Yes Pat, that is a good point. Another way around to do the trick is, after ungouping the Landscape Area, when all the objects are still selected, Group them.

But, to the future, it would be a very interesting improvement on the Landscape Area tool to be able to keep its edit capacities and be able to have that 2D representation.

Thanks guys!!! Much appreciated.