Editing Truss 3D Component

DCI

In the image below there is a one section of "Tyler Truss GT 10'".

When inserting lighting instruments onto this truss they hang far below where the pipe is. To rectify this (to save me having to move every single fixture I hang) I have edited the 3D component moving the truss down the Z axis so "0" is the centre pipe where I would like fixtures to hang.

Note: The lighting instruments that I am inserting onto this truss are custom that have been derived from the VW symbols. I've added clamps to the 3D component making the centre of the clamp the origin.

As you can see from the image, the whole truss has moved down as expected, however, has left some crosshairs (circled in red) in the trusses original position. I believe these are used when joining trusses together? These do not appear in the 3D component so i'm unsure as to how to move these to the new truss location.

Any help in rectifying this issue or perhaps a more appropriate solution to the original problem would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Dan

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 21.31.06.png

Edited by DCI
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@DCI For some reason your image file did not upload properly but I think I know what crosshairs you are speaking.  Those crosshairs are the Braceworks connection points that show the center of the truss and the load from where calculations are originated.  Unfortunately, they are hard coded into the structural data and are determined by the truss height and width in the Truss Properties dialog. 

If you look at the Truss Properties of that symbol you will see that the height and width are grayed out and cannot be edited.  You can click the Change Cross Section button and make a custom cross section which will allow you to change the height and width but if Tyler does add the data at a later date you will have to manually assign the proper cross section to your truss in order to perform load calculations with Braceworks and the crosshairs will return to the original middle of the listed dimensions in the data.

You can also insert the truss as a 2D/3D symbol instead of a truss object and this will remove the crosshairs but you will also lose the auto connect ability that comes with truss objects and will have to rely on the 2D and 3D loci for snapping.

I hope this all makes sense

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Rather than modifying the truss symbols. I would suggest creating duplicate versions (like a HUD version) of your lighting symbols that have adjusted insertion points in the 3D component. This will only be an issue if you are going to export to a visualizer like Vision. Personally, I'd rather have that issue than lose autoconnect functionality.

Ultimately, the proper way to handle this efficiently would be to use the Align and Distribute tool in 3D.