VW12 Workgroup referencing symbol

In VW11.5 I could workgroup reference a file and check no layers. It would then reference all the symbols.

Doesn't this work anymore with VW12?

I've tried but the symbol are not in Italics and do not update.

I've tried to reference the file both from the workgroup reference dialog box or from the resource browser. It does reference my file without any layer, but I cannot acces the symbols???

The only way I have found is to create a layer call LIBwindows for windows library for ex and to put an instance of the symbol there and then to reference that layer of the file??? Is this normal?

Simply right click on the symbols you want to reference and select reference.

With VW 12, you no longer have to refernece a file to reference only resources in that file.

All you have to do is have the file either open under "Open Files" in the Resource Browser or saved as a Favorite in the Favorites list.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

LiMei,

Thank you very much for your assistance with this problem. When I tried to duplicate what you reported, I had my source file on the local harddrive. When I moved it to a network drive, I saw the problem you reported.

With further checking, I found that this is only a problem on Windows. Also I believe it is only a problem if you have mapped network drives. For instance, I have an Engineers volume that I have mapped to be drive E: on my Windows machine. When opening a source file from the Engineers volume on the resource browser (either doing a Browse or an Add to Favorites), if I navigate to it by clicking on the E: drive under My Computer, I have the problem. However if I navigate to it by going through My Network Places, then I don't have the problem. So you can work around the problem by not using network volume mappings for now. This will be fixed for a future version of VW.

--------------------

Bruce Ferguson

bruce@nemetschek.net