Report card on VW2020

The good news so far:  they fixed the problem with 2d object type preferences changing when editing a Sheet Layer viewport crop!  The bad news:  many more crashes, pretty unstable for a SP3.  A bit slower than the version I have been using for a while, 2017.  Not driving me crazy, but I will update this post as I go along.

• 2 weeks later...

As I use 2020, more disappointments.  Editing 3d portions of hybrid symbols is impossible, you have to create the object outside the symbol edit space, then paste it in.  Can't turn off wall components in Sheet viewports without losing important door and wall graphics.  Based on these alone, I wish I had stayed with 2017.  I just have to wonder whether the engineers consult with actual architects when they make these changes, changes that in my opinion have no plus side.  Hoping to find the silver lining promised by one of my trusted VW compatriots!

@P Retondo "wonder whether the engineers consult with actual architects" From using VW since 2005 I strongly suspect there are few, if any, design professionals working inside - it'll be the usual culture that thinks knows that it knows best. The broad brush basics are here but it is the edge cases that give it away; all the day-to-day, and tacit items, and things that designers just know and expect - these are missing, incomplete or not quite fit for purpose.

It would really help if there was some real openness about what is going on inside - how do we rip the lid off and find out though?

I've been using VW since 1994 MiniCAD.  The original genius behind Vectorworks was Richard Diehl, who had this great idea of hybrid objects that showed elements in traditional plan view, but also intrinsically contained all the information to be displayed in a 3D view.  As far as I know, he was the originator of that idea.  When Richard sold the company, and even before that, he handed over design to engineers who, in my humble opinion, have not respected the pure genius of his original idea and have cluttered the software with their own less focused ideas.  It is what it is, you won't ever "rip the lid off it."

"I've been using VW since 1994 MiniCAD”.  Me from their first version for Mac (92?), including Apple CAD before that.

But they never seem to fix the fundamentals.  

Push Pull works 10% of the time.

Fillet and Chamfer maybe 30%.  Then randomly on one side of an object, but not on the mirror image side.

Convert to Generic is manditory to get the file size down.

The view and mode jump around haphazardly.

Slow downs and stopping dead for a minute are regular events.  Can't draw or select anything.  I have to use a memory recycler to get the 15MB back to 3.5MB available.

“Fix the Geometry” is useless - tells you its broke.

There are maybe 20 macros they could implement to help align/space objects and sve tremendous time. ( I have written maybe 50 macros in Keyboard Macro)

The worst part is the rather nasty and aggressive demand for you to upgrade or they will double the price periodically therafter.

Edited by BenG
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just crashed vw2020 (SP3!) again - froze after I clicked on a window in a 3d view.  Tell you what, Nemetschek - I've been purchasing upgrades for 3 seats of VW Designer for  years, waiting for you to make meaningful improvements.  I'm tired of waiting and paying.  Last year I cut back the number of seats, and this year it will be zero.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Now this form of instability.  First, the zoom tool (<C>) gets really slow.  Then, when I draw a rectangle in Top/Plan view, the view switches to OpenGL.  Then the program freezes.  This has happened twice in the last 30 minutes.  Never happened in 25 years of using Vectorworks and many, many conversions of files from previous versions.  As a one off, I could understand.  Combined with all the other glitches, I have to wonder how these things come to be.

Edited by P Retondo