VW12 Window bug

I originally posted this problem in the RenderWorks section because I originally thought it was a rendering problem, but it appears to be a window pio bug (according another poster):

I have recently installed VW12 with RenderWorks. When rendering walls with window openings, I am getting strange artifacts around the openings. If there are no textures, there is a strange "halo" around the opening in the wall. If there are textures, the direction of the texture changes 90? in a perimeter of about 4" (real world) around the opening. The problem is visible in Open GL and in Final Quality RenderWorks. In some circumstances, the exterior wall texture will appear around the interior view of the window until the window has been flipped 4 times (sort of refreshes), then the interior texture appears on the wall, but still oriented incorrectly in this "halo" affect.

After further experimentation, I discovered in wireframe view in elevation, there is a 4 1/2" (real world) perimeter around my window plug-in elements. This seems to correspond with the shifting textures and "halo" effects. This shows up in 3D as an extra frame around the window (outside the perimeter of the trim)!!!

I tried to get around this bug by using the VW 11.5 window pio, but VW12 does not recognize the earlier plug-in. I should know by experience not to buy version x.0 of any software, but the new feature set and the demo videos are very seductive. It would be nice if VW were rock solid (which has never happened), but it seems that core features of VW (doors, windows, walls, etc.) should be rock solid before releasing updates.

I have experienced this on both my G4 PowerBook and my G5 dual processor running either Tiger (10.4.3) or Panther (10.3.9). This problem does not occur in VW 11.5.

Thanks for the replies and the link to other posts. For the time being, I am simply awaiting a bug fix and have returned to VW 11.5.1. It still works.

I think the "potential" of VW 12 is great, but not yet realized. NNA is not alone in releasing buggy software? Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia, Quark, etc., for example, have cost me many hundreds of hours trying to work around bugs. Most of the time there is a workable compromise, but this Window Bug goes to the heart of VW 12 and makes it essentially unuseable, for now.

My thoughts and prays go out to all of you: it's a tuff job but somebody's got to do it. Don't give up... quite yet. There are probably many more little nastys to discover ...

Your efforts are essential to our longterm survival. Get thee to the far northern territories .. keep diggin and keep sending in the reports to headquarters. The minute we got our first computer is the moment we all became just statistics in the Tech Games.

Suck it up ... carpe diem, amigo.

I too am seeing the strange artifacts around the window openings when rendered in OpenGL and FQ.

I believe that the "halo" you are describing is related to the "Masonry Module" setting of the window located under the "Parts" tab. When the masonry module is set to zero the "halo" dissappears for me. The artifacts for me seem to be the wall appearing through the jamb. This indicates that PIOs have a problem with the 3D locus locations for opening the wall. Heres a work around...

Turn your PIO objects into symbols and input the 4-3D loci into the symbol for opening. Note that the same process is required for turning any PIO into a symbol. This is ok for large projects where the PIOs will be symbols anyways, but somewhat annoying for small projects where most windows are 1 of kind.

Note: Altough the PIO/symbols have much improved rendering in walls after this process - there still appears to be problems with the window (possibly door as well) frames don't render properly in both OpenGL and FQ.

Designer 12 w/Renderworks

OSX 10.3.9 Tibook

Yes, I will continue to "play" with VW12 until a bug fix is posted, but I was hoping to simply continue "working" (ie. earn an income) on my projects while learning VW12. As this is not possible because of the window bug which impacts on elevations and rendered images, I will continue "working" with VW11.5.1.

• 3 months later...

The windows PIO in VW 12.0.1 is flawed (and possibly the door PIO as well). I do not think that it is productive for VW users to suck on eggs apologizing for their complaints. I bought VW 12 which is TOTALLY USELESS because of this bug. I am continuing to "work" with VW 11.5, but my confidence in upgrading in the future has been unalterably flawed.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have reviewed this issue in more depth, and have discovered the following. The surround does NOT appear in Hidden Line rendering, but DOES appear when you use "Convert to Lines" with the HL render option. This has been entered as a bug. In the meantime, try using elevation viewports (which evidently handle HL somewhat better) than the old-fashioned workflow of "converting to lines".