Matt's Random CC2020 Questions

Hi Conrad!

I've been spending a lot of time over the past few days rebuilding my template from the ground up and customizing ConnectCAD2020 for our workflow. Throughout this process I've been keeping a list of random questions that come up. I'll probably have a few batches of them, which I'll post in this thread. In an effort to potentially help the community I'll post them all here rather than email you. Anyway, here's the first batch!

1. Cross-machine synchronization: We have two seats of ConnectCAD, and I have the one I use shared between my desktop and laptop. My goal is to have all of my ConnectCAD_Data synchronized between these machines, so if I add a connector or signal type for example, everything is updated. In the older versions I solved this by moving the ConnectCAD_Data folder to a shared google drive folder that is synced to each of these machines, and would move aliases of that folder to the appropriate location in Application Support.

Upon attempting this in 2020 where the folder is inside the actual VW application, VW crashes immediately when I try to use Device Builder if this folder is an alias. 

Do you have any suggestions for how I can synchronize this data across multiple machines? I'd hate to have to remember to do it manually. As we grow and add more seats this becomes more and more important. 

2. Is it possible to set the default length value for circuits to 0? I use an external spreadsheet to generate my BOMs off the CC database for each project. Because we use multichannel audio snakes so frequently, I set the length on channel 1, and then have the rest of the snake channels set to 0 so that the same snake length isn't counted multiple times. Right now I have been manually (and frustratingly!) going through and changing every length from 2 to 0 on these snake channels. Or perhaps I can just add my own field. 

3. Sometimes in my diagrams I need to depict cables that are hanging but unterminated or not connected. An example would be a pair of XLR Male connectors sitting on a desk for a future pair of alternate speakers. Do you have any suggestions about how I can depict this using the current ConnectCAD tools?

4. Sometimes I need to depict one cable plugging into another cable. For example, I might have a USB extension cable that connects to a short cable coming off of a USB hub, or I might have an 8 channel DB25 to XLR Male audio snake in which some of the connectors on that snake connect to other cables that go to a different location. 

A while back you had suggested that I duplicate the audio jack tool and customize the connections on each side. It was a bit cumbersome to create, was one more thing I had to remember to do on updates, and was a bit unclear in depiction. I'm wondering perhaps if this is some sort of tool that can be created, along with my request in question 3? Or perhaps a skinny device can be created. It sometimes can get a little cluttered up, and having floating individual connections like this would be much better. 
    1115548706_ScreenShot2020-04-16at8_39_46AM.thumb.png.bf00fc398ec89c145cffa50e29e6d7cd.png

5. Out of curiosity is there any workflow where I can create devices directly from a spreadsheet and import them into the ConnectCAD Devices DB file? This would be immensely useful in helping me undertake the massive project of rebuilding my device library. In the mean time I'll play with it and report back. Also, I'm just wondering if you could shed more light on what each of the columns in this document are used for. 

Thanks Conrad! I'm sure more will come up but this will push me along.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:55 AM, mcschaefer said:

Do you have any suggestions for how I can synchronize this data across multiple machines? I'd hate to have to remember to do it manually. As we grow and add more seats this becomes more and more important. 

This would be a fantastic feature! We have 12 seats on our network license and everyone is working on different signal types and connectors files. Would love to see a way for this to stay in sync for all users.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback. So here are some answers.

1. Cross-machine sync. We have harmonised with Vectorworks conventions on the use of the User folder path vs. Application folder. User folder mirrors the structure of the Application folder. You can add your own Signal and Connector type files in the user folder and your entries appear in the dropdowns. You can set up a Workgroup folder at a shared location and again files in this location add to the existing data.

2. Check out the connectCAD_Data/CableLengths.txt file, the default value is the first in the list.

3. This is exactly what Externals are used for - a terminating point for random cables.

4. Best way to handle this is to fake these with a virtual device i.e. a device with physical dimensions 0, 0 ,0.

5. This menu command is already in my plans but we didn't have the resources to do it this time around.

Best

Conrad

As always, thank you for your sage advice, @Conrad Preen! I like the idea of using an external for floating cables, and am happy that setting the length default is as simple as setting the first value to 0. 

A few followup questions:

7 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

1. Cross-machine sync. We have harmonised with Vectorworks conventions on the use of the User folder path vs. Application folder. User folder mirrors the structure of the Application folder. You can add your own Signal and Connector type files in the user folder and your entries appear in the dropdowns. You can set up a Workgroup folder at a shared location and again files in this location add to the existing data.

My apologies, pardon my naivety here, I'm unfamiliar with this/ how it works. Could you clarify this? What/ where is the user folder? Do my entries appear in addition to what's in the application folder, or do they replace what's in there? If it's easier, I can save this one for a zoom session. 

7 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

5. This menu command is already in my plans but we didn't have the resources to do it this time around.

To clarify my question, is it possible to manually edit the ConnectCAD Devices DB text file to create, delete, or modify devices? Or must this specifically be done within VW?

Thanks Conrad!

Hi Matt,

Not sure about the sage in my advice ( smells more like oregano to me 😉 ).

Any new makes/models, and any new variants you make of existing make/models are stored in the corresponding user folder database. I would not advise you to edit the device database file. First there is a good chance that you will corrupt it and have to re-install, secondly each time you upgrade Vectorworks your changes will be overwritten. User folder is much safer for your stuff.

So where is that elusive "user folder" I keep going on about. Let's check Vectorworks help. At the top-right of Vectorworks dialog boxes there is a little question mark. I went to the Vectorworks Preferences dialog and clicked that "?" and I found the text below.

Hope that helps

Conrad

From Vectorworks Help

Vectorworks preferences: User Folders tab

Click the User Folders tab to change the location of your user data folder, and to designate workgroup folders for sharing content with other users.

User data and preferences folder

The user data and preferences folder contains the Vectorworks files that are created and used by you. The user folder is automatically created outside of the Vectorworks installation folder so that your data and preferences remain undisturbed when the Vectorworks program is updated.

Within this folder, the program creates subfolders for Libraries, Plant Database (Vectorworks Landmark required), Plug-Ins, Renderworks, Settings, VWHelp, and Workspaces. The following customizations are automatically saved to the user folder.

●        Vectorworks Preferences settings

●        Workspace Editor changes

●        Log files

●        Resource Manager Favorite files

●        SmartCursor settings

●        Saved export and import options for DXF/DWG files

●        Saved settings for the Eyedropper and Select Similar tools

●        Settings for certain plug-ins, such as the Stair and Space tools

●        Dialog box and palette positions

Additionally, you can manually add custom files to the Libraries folder in your user folder, to have resources such as symbols and hatches display in the Resource Manager and Resource Selector, or as default content in dialog boxes and palettes. See Creating custom resource libraries for more information.

Creating a new User Data and Preferences folder

The Vectorworks program automatically creates the following user data folder in the application data folder:

●        Mac: /Users/<Username>/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2020

●        Windows: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2020

By default, both Mac and Windows hide the application data folder. If you use the default user folder, you might want to adjust your system settings to make hidden folders visible. Alternatively, create a new user folder in a more accessible location.

Hi Conrad, 

My apologies for wasting your time with such a simple VW question that I could have easily figured out on my own. My knowledge of VW is unfortunately formed around only ConnectCAD and I clearly need to expand my horizons, so thanks for your patience! 

Here's my next batch for you:

1. Device Database: One final followup question on this: none of the devices that come default with the program are usable for me because I have my own signal types, connector list, etc. I'd like to completely delete the default device database to remove all of the clutter. Before I attempt this, if I simply delete all of the entries in the ConnectCAD Devices DB text file would that potentially corrupt the software, or would it accomplish what I'm looking to do?

2. When the Device Builder builds a device, it leaves a 1 grid space above the connectors for where "Description" field went in the default symbol heading. I created my own symbol headings, and a to mitigate this I dragged the heading down by 1 grid to fill the space. A little bit of awkwardness ensues because of that space (see screenshot).  Is there any way to not have that space be created? Otherwise, I'll just live with it. 
    908590617_ScreenShot2020-04-21at2_13_01PM.thumb.png.7c4ed453f2d85152203a30493313226b.png
  3. Wishlist: I've seen mentions of a wishlist thread but can't seem to locate a specific ConnectCAD one. I'll drop these here for now, but please point me in the correct direction if I should put these elsewhere. Or should I just drop them in the general Vectorworks Wishlist forum?
    1. I know I mentioned this one in another thread, but changing the "Cable Type" field to a dropdown would be super helpful in eliminating human error and typos!

2. Someone in another thread mentioned wishing for a way to mark sockets/terminations and circuits as "on-site" (can't build in shop prior to installation) vs "in-shop" (can build in-shop prior to installation). Perhaps there may be other uses of the ability to mark a circuit or socket. 

This is also something I would love to have, as I'm sure would many other users, but I understand your sentiment about not being able to build a solution for every fringe case into the core software. Anyway, feel free to ignore this but here are some thoughts:
      1. One idea that comes to mind is to create a user field that displays an "x" next to the connector. However, this would be much better if it instead behaved exactly like the "is terminated" checkbox, where upon checking the box the graphic changes. This is also slightly lacking in that these custom fields don't appear on the CableReport database. 
      2. An even better idea to me is if we could have a small handful of user parameters for CIRCUITS. Being able to create an optional second or third flag (similar to the one used for "cable") would be huge. Also huge bonus would be being able to have these fields appear on the cable report. Potential uses:
        1. "on-site" vs "in shop" (both for instruction to technicians and also for separating BOM for prewiring cable vs rack build cable)
        2. Installation status, such as "run" "terminated" "tested" etc (may be cumbersome in practice but could also be useful to indicate on a diagram whether a particular circuit is pre-exisitng)
        3. Cable Model

3. It would be nice if the user parameters didn't have to be named "user1" etc and could have meaningful names. Totally understood if this isn't an easy thing to implement.

4. As an experiment I created a bunch of "XLR3M" panel connectors on the schematic (XLR3M meaning what connector on the cable connects to the panel connector). Much to my surprise and delight, when I "got" those connectors on the Equipment Item, "XLR3F" panel connectors showed up. Where are these relationships made? Is there anyplace that those of us who have extensive custom connector lists can make or edit these automatic connector relationships? 

4. And lastly, a bug (unless I'm doing this wrong): When I add a new connector symbol to the panel connectors folder in resource manager, selecting a connector from the dropdown menu on the Equipment Item depiction of the panel selects the next connector image for any name that is alphabetically after the connector I added. For example, if I create a connector called "con_Y" When I select "XLR3F" from the dropdown on the panel, "XLR3M" appears.  

Thanks Conrad!

Edited by mcschaefer

Hi Matt

No  worries! We could also do with getting an FAQ section here. I've started a thread called Did You Know where I post nuggets of info and how-to's. But I'd like to have the equivalent of support.connectcad.com. But yes, well worth checking out Vectorworks help. It's a pretty nice piece of software 😉

I'll get to your questions a bit later on.

Conrad

@Daniel Dickman Just came back here to let you know about a solution I'm trying. Will report back if there are issues:

1. Sync all of our machines to a shared Google Drive using Backup and Sync 

2. In our drive is a shared folder that we have set as our user folder in Vectorworks. Within that folder, under Plug-ins, create your own connectCAD_Data folder. 

3. Place all of your signal and connector types in there, and these override the defaults that come with the software. All machines will sync to this folder. 

Check out this video to learn about setting the user folder/ how it works (if you aren't already aware): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqvZL_VHqdU

@Conrad PreenJust following up on one item in my most recent post here to report more about that bug regarding the CTP Equipment Items: If I select any panel connector that I personally created or modified from the connector dropdown, the connector completely disappears. 

Also, just thought I'd let you know that some of the panel connectors that ship with the software are slightly off-center (for example NE8F-C6).

I'm currently going through and rebuilding my entire panel connector library. Along the way I'll be fixing centering issues and such. Will also be creating both top text and bottom text versions, and am adding my own custom field to the record where you can optionally enter a cable number. Lastly, adding text styles and classes to that text so I can hide the cable number on exports for manufacture but show it for installers.   

Happy to send them your way if it's helpful!

880501979_ScreenShot2020-04-27at3_28_00PM.thumb.png.3d5b125f3eaff850d529320a7441ab97.png

Hi @Conrad Preen! I hope your week is going well. 

I just wanted to follow up on a couple of items from my April 21 Post:

1. Is it possible to remove that space on the top of the rectangle when devices are built using the device builder? This space wasn't there in 2019 and earlier versions (at least for me- maybe this was a Chuck mod?). To compensate for the space being created when using device builder in 2020, I've moved the system symbol heading down by one grid space, but now if I migrate all of my old devices from my <2019 library to 2020, the system symbol heading is too low. So, before I go and rebuild my entire device library to conform to 2020 I just wanted to confirm with you first whether it's possible to remove this space!

2. I'm curious to hear your answer to # 4 under my wishlist items regarding the mating of schematic and panel connectors. This will affect how I redesign my workflow.

3. One more new item:

Are there plans to allow for devices that are too big for device builder or have custom connector spacing and/or graphics be added to the device database in device builder? As a user, it's a bit frustrating to have to maintain a device library VW file AND a separate device database, and to have to check both places for devices when creating a drawing. Double frustrating as our staff grows and this institutional knowledge of what's where has to be passed on to them. 

A dream of mine would be to be able to open device builder, click that drop down, and have ALL of my devices be there. Also not having to remember at the end of a project to make sure I add all new devices to my device library would also be a time saver. Not sure if this is at all possible but it would be a huge help. 

Thanks Conrad!

Hi @mcschaefer

1. Please send me a picture - I'm a visual type.

4. "Where are these relationships made?" well I took the old-fashioned view that M would mate with F and vice-versa !!! 🤣 So if a connector name ends in M we change the ending to F for the mating connector. Not very subtle I'm afraid.

3. Expanding the Device Builder is certainly an idea. I'll look into it. Not sure if that really the place to keep all your devices or if what you really need is better shared storage of symbols? Once you start wanting custom connector spacing and graphics, well that's a symbol basically.

Conrad

Hi Conrad,

The picture and description of the issue are described in #2 of my April 21 post above ^. Here is the screenshot again of the extra space that gets automatically added upon using the device builder as compared to my system symbol. If this is how it is and I can't make it go away, I'll just manually adapt my entire device library to match the new way. Just wanted to confirm first before putting in all of that work!:

708124564_ScreenShot2020-05-05at1_39_21PM.thumb.png.7ee4c14794d325affb7eca40e89f7499.png

What I was wondering about the panels connectors is- is there a table where we can edit this mating, or is it only done automatically based on M vs F? Seems like an extra column in the connector types might be useful here. If not, no worries I can manually edit it each time. 

And, sounds good! I just wanted to shed light on the fact that the current way the device builder database works is a little strange but certainly not a major issue. I got excited to see this feature added but then quickly realized it doesn't really help anything because of how it currently works (lacking the ability to add your actual finished devices to the library).

My device builder database is really just going to be full of a bunch of nonsense that I never use I suppose, since I tend to make further spacing and visual edits on my devices beyond the builder. We'll continue to put everything in our library as we have been and ignore the device builder database. 

Thanks for your help!

Dear Matt,

Can you please send me a Vectorworks document that might let me reproduce this "extra space" effect? I am puzzled by the fact that the sockets are not being placed on the device outline in your drawing. My apologies that I didn't see the picture you already posted - this thread has gotten over-long.

Connector mating - I think I already explained that at the moment we just swap the suffix M for F and vice-versa. This keeps it easy for users to add new connector types. I have no plans to change that.

The Device Builder database is not intended as a repository for your personal (or company) collection of frequently-used devices. Vectorworks has a perfectly good system for this based around symbols, so we will not be re-inventing it. You can define workgroup folders and share this content between users in your company. It's well worth looking at the Vectorworks help for the Resource Manager. Vectorworks has so many great features and we all tend to get stuck in our bubble.

Device Builder is designed to help users quickly create a device from a manufacturers spec sheet. The limitation of 10 socket groups is imposed to keep the dialog to a reasonable size. Yes, some devices do not fit in this limit. The alternative is a scrolling list browser where you can add an arbitrary number of rows. The downside of this approach is that it takes more steps to add and edit rows. This would make it harder to use in the majority of cases and less approachable for new users.

Saving and recalling the contents of the Device Builder form based on Make and Model allows users to fill in the form quickly. In ConnectCAD 2020 our team curated the old online database and weeded out a lot of the less-than-reliable data uploaded by users in the previous versions. Most people would say that's an improvement.

I don't think it really helps to describe aspects of ConnectCAD that don't happen to be useful to you as "works a little strange" or "bunch of nonsense". We work hard to cater to the needs of a large and diverse group of designers each with different requirements. We are committed to improving our software for the benefit of everyone.

Kind regards

Conrad

Attached here is a file. I opened the default CC template, edited dev_label_generic to remove everything below the middle point (description, location), and created a device. The space is created where the description and location information used to be in the device label, and I was wondering if it's possible for that space to not be created if there is no information below the center point on the device label. 

Space.vwx

My apologies- it appears that this device database topic has blown out of proportion and I intended no offense. I was simply asking for more information about this new feature and offering my feedback. As a user, here's my feedback regarding this. Without you having explained it to me as you just did here on the forum, at first glance it appears that the drop downs in the device builder are intended to be a user device repository because they do save user created devices into the database (in the user folder), minus any later customizations.

This was a source of confusion for me because it appeared as if you intended for that to be the way it works, but now I understand that it is not. The existing VW symbol library system does work and I'll keep using it. The device database is an improvement, yes, but as soon as the user customizes their signal types, connectors, or layouts, which I assume many of us do, it becomes unusable for us, and only adds extra clicks when we create new devices. 

Thanks as always for your help.