Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

String Concatenate Issues

AlHanson

I've been using the Ordered List along with the Concatenate Node to combine strings for my tools for a while now and have never had any issue with it. Recently, I've been having trouble getting this to function correctly as it has started giving me a list style string.

In this example I'm just trying to create a simple #/# value display- just a simple / between two string values. I should be getting 1/23 from this however I'm getting ['1', '/', '23'].

I've generally been working with the ComputerWorks Easy Text node, so I checked this against the stock Text node and the problem exists here too. The weird thing is that if I go back to my tools that have used this exact same method to generate text and copy/paste the Ordered List & Concat nodes into the file they work just fine and produce the previously expected results. Checking the script in the newly inserted nodes versus the copied node shows no difference- they match up exactly. Example file attached.

Very confused with this and looking for some help or guidance on a better method for building strings?

Concat.jpg

TextConcat.vwx

• 2 years later...

As the concat node is, it converts the input to a string and then loop the character and adds them.

#inputs
    stringIn = str(self.Params.stringIn.value)

#script
    newString = ''
    for s in stringIn:
        newString = newString + s

#outputs
    self.Params.stringOut.value = newString

I am not sure but I would expect from this node, it should do something like this:

#inputs
stringIn = self.Params.stringIn.value

#script
newString = ''
for s in stringIn:
  newString = newString + str(s)

#outputs
  self.Params.stringOut.value = newString