Schedules with Custom Symbols

In the attached snapshot, I've created 5 simple symbols - circles with varying colors and sizes. These could be anything - trees, shrubs, lights, doors, etc. I've attached a record for each of these symbols to include COLOR and NUMBER (or size) so that the schedule can include this information.

Question - is there a way to create a schedule that includes the custom symbol in the schedule as shown in the inset schedule / legend?

I'm continuing to look for answers online, sifting through a lot of content. If someone knows how or if this is possible, I would appreciate the help!

Thank you.

vw.thumb.jpg.6f47aa8a293864676015f16bb4d8f643.jpg

Perfect, that did the trick! Exactly what I was trying to do. Thank you for the quic k response!

The "add custom field" is a whole new world for me. I didn't quite figure out why the "length" of the line wasn't calculated in the spreadsheet, but I think I can continue to tinker with it and figure it out.

Am I correct in assuming that creating a report is ideally performed once, at end of project or before printing? Is there an easy way to edit from "create report" pop-up without having to re-create a report?

200415_VW Symbols.vwx

Yes, If a report has already been defined and you select the Report (database) row, the right click option changes to Edit Report.

And once you have it setup, all you need to do to get the current data is Recalculate from the Worksheet File menu (Or right click on the Worksheet image in the drawing if you don't have it open for editing)

@Pat Stanford - do you know if there's a way to show the symbol as 2d geometry, rather than an image? In similar files we have to this (such as electrical schedules) the 2d symbol is shown as an image, which then creates a larger file size when exported to PDF rather than or old way of having a legend with 2d geometry in it on the sheet layer.

Diving deeper into the functions.

I'm trying to create another report but instead of symbols, want to have a column showing fills (color, patterns or hatches).

I'm using the "hatchfill" function but what displays is the name of the hatch (09 Square 1/16in HF), not the visual of what it looks like (tiny square grid).

I've scrolled through all the functions and it doesn't seem like there is anything that qualifies. There's only something for a hatch, but not for a solid color, pattern or tile. Is there a function I am overlooking? Is this possible?

image.thumb.png.7d0f50336d87c080acac3dc28614db33.png

Edited by bapelaj

There is no easy way to do this. I can't find the file where I tested something similar a long time ago using colors. The best I came up with at that time was to put hidden objects with the colors somewhere and naming them. I was then able to bring them into the worksheet by using an =Image('MyName') command I think.

Good Luck.