Locking Records

spries

Question

I have a universal record format that I have attached to my symbols. Some of the values, e.g. Weight, I want to lock so it only can be changed when unlocked (maybe even with a simple passcode). 

When values, like weight, gets used to calculate total weights, an accidental change of the weight value in the record can have dangerous consequences in the worksheet thereafter.

4 answers to this question

No way to lock fields or record.

The best workaround I can think of would be to create the critical fields in a Hidden record format. You would not be able to see them on the OIP, but you could access them (and unfortunately also edit them) in a worksheet.

To ensure they are not directly editable in a worksheet your could use a formula of =Value(Record.Field) which would give you a number you can sum but not automatically write the value back to the record. 

When you need to edit the record attached to the symbol create another worksheet that accesses the Record.Field directly.

Almost anything is scriptable ;-)

I was thinking of splitting the record into two parts One to be hidden, one to keep. Use a script to attach the hidden version and transfer the data from the full record. Then edit the full record to delete those fields.  The trick is if you need to see the data in the OIP but not be able to edit it.