creating walls of unusual thicknesses

Hello,  I'm new here and while on C19 lockdown i've been tasked with learning the basics of VW to assist my PM work in the events industry.  I've bumbled along for a while and mostly been adding to existing plans.  

I've decided to create something from a scan and am stuck at the first hurdle.  Can anyone give me some advise on the cleanest way to create walls for the attached plan.  Its basically a medieval Italian Hilltop village house with unusual thickness walls.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 12.48.03.png

• Like 1

You picked a bad option to learn on.  VW does not handle a variation in thickness of an individual wall very gracefully.

Others will be able to give you much better advise, but the tow options that I can think of are creating it from an Extrude (draw a polygon showing the edges of the walls and then extrude it up), but this will not let you add Doors or Windows directly nor will it join with other walls.

Other option would be to use a Wall Projection to get the varying thickness you need.

• Like 1

Method 1:

You can "butt join" two walls of different thicknesses.  Line up a 12" thick wall and a 6" thick wall so both their right sides are aligned.  Use the wall join tool in the corner mode (L) to join them and you will get the change in wall thickness.

It gets trickier if a door or window spans the joint.  But it's still doable.

Method 2:

When things get really crazy, draw a polygon over the craziness and convert it to a Pillar object.  Under the AEC menu in the Architect workspace.  Spotlight > Architectural in the Spotlight workspace.  Then you can join walls to your new pillar with the wall join tool in the T mode.  Pillars can't have doors and windows, so try to use walls where you need openings.

Wall Thickness.vwx

• Like 3
Guest Wes Gardner

To add to what Andy Broomell said, doors and windows can be "set" in your newly extruded "walls".  They won't actually be hosted into a wall like when using the wall tool but they will give a correct representation.

BTW, I too recommend modeling the "walls" and then using Add Solids/Subtract Solids to create holes in which to "set" doors/windows/other objects

Wes

@8bit Just in case you wanted a literal answer to your question:

You can model walls of different thicknesses pretty easily.

Select the wall tool, draw a wall (without components) or create a new wall without components (just the overall thickness for the wall)

Then select the wall and change the Style to "Unstyled" in the OIP  (see image).

That will allow you to change the thickness value to whatever you like.  You can then make copies of that wall and change their thickness to unique values as you go.

1134519657_ScreenShot2020-04-17at1_54_47PM.thumb.png.a8c403fb4fc34f99f7e2629be0ac516d.png673592410_ScreenShot2020-04-17at1_54_41PM.thumb.png.4cf336974092185dbb7d55993e919116.png

• Like 3

Just to make it even more difficult, many of those old stone walls lean, sag, waver, bulge and host other deformities, or may even taper as they rise.  They have been through wars, earthquakes, competent and incompetent renovations and additions over the centuries. And, the "modern" idea of a wall with consistent components may also not apply because of varying conditions/sources/dressing of quoins and stones and stuccos, blah blah blah

I think all the above ideas for use of wall tool, or extrudes can combine to produce a passible massing model. Go for it!

But if stone by stone precision is required, this is a job for site scan and point cloud. Photogrametry could also be useful, at least to establish the envelope.

(I know, not very helpful for the OP, sorry)

-B

BesaluDet.jpg

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...