Clip Cube shortcut key has different behavior than menu command

mgebel

Question

Hi.

Way back when I was first getting started with VW (last year), I setup a shortcut for clipcube (control+shift+C), because I like to use it quite often. However, I did not realize that there was something wrong with the behavior until recently when a colleague explained the way that it is supposed to work.

Normal behavior: When you select an object and choose the Clipcube command from either the view menu or the toolbar button, a new clipcube is generated around the object that is selected.

Abnormal behavior: When I activate a clipcube using my shortcut, it ignores any selected objects and simply toggles on the last known clipcube location. If there was no existing clipcube in the current view, the new clipcube that is generated is always very small relative the objects in the design layer, and it is located at the internal origin. This is highly frustrating when I'm working on large models and am far from the internal origin. Not sure what exactly triggers the change in view, yet, because it seems to do it all the time. Maybe it's whenever I change the current visibilities?

Anyway, I now know that if I use the menu command, the clipcube generates where I expect, so this is not an urgent problem, but if anyone has any insight into why this is happening and how it might be fixed (hopefully in the next patch?), I would be very grateful!

2 answers to this question

By default, holding Ctrl while invoking the Club Cube command will restore the previous Clip Cube. My guess is that because Ctrl is part of the shortcut it's causing that behavior.

Unfortunately it looks like you can't assign a shortcut that doesn't include Ctrl, so either use the menu item, or what I recommend is turning on the QuickPrefs button so it's handy:

1543275744_ScreenShot2020-04-14at12_20_48PM.thumb.png.21c00a293b5e61c8c5c2ab7b8e4cea23.png

1867627772_ScreenShot2020-04-14at12_20_54PM.thumb.png.cf9c51e7e4abc43098093d40e8a19072.png

• Like 1