2D / 3D Editing

I don't understand exactly what you are asking, but I don't think VW will do what you want. I think you are talking about Symbol Components.

There are two similar by separate concepts about Symbols in VW2019 and VW2020.

The first is the historical concept of "Hybrid Symbols". In a Hybrid Symbol, any object that are Screen Plane will display when you are in a Top/Plan view and any objects that are not Screen Plane will display in any other 3D view. So if you go to the 3D view and Draw 2D over the 3D when you save the symbol it will "fall through" to the 2D portion of the symbol and only show in Top/Plan. The same works in reverse if you draw 3D object in a Top/Plan view of the symbol.

In VW2020 (and I think 2019, but don't have it available to check). when you are in the Symbol Edit mode, there is an option on the Component Edit bar to Show Other. So if you are in the Top view you can use that to show the 3D so you can align the 2D and 3D parts.

The second concept is Symbol (and Plug-in Object) Components. Components let you define a "2D" representation of the object for the cardinal (Front/Back/Left/Right/Top/Bottom) that will override the 3D part of the symbol when you are in a Hidden Line rendered Viewport AND the cardinal view is "coplanar" to the screen. In any view that is not coplanar the 3D model will be used.

So there is no way to link your manually created 2D portion to the 3D, but you can see them both at the same time to make sure your alignment is correct.

Another option you might want to look at if you only need a different Top/Plan view is Auto Hybrid. An Auto Hybrid object will take 3D Geometry and algorithmically generate a 2D representation. This could be inside your symbol and possibly provide what you are looking for as it will update the 2D when you change the 3D.