3D placing Hybrid Symbols

NickB

Hi all,

I am drawing a tower block with many repeating elements.

I am defining the elements as Hybrid (2D/3D) symbols.

When I place the elements into the drawing I want the 3D sybol to go in at a certain height - specifically facade elements that are positioned 13" below the Z=0 of each layer.

I have tried to do this by setting a 3D locus 13" 'up' within the symbol as my insertion locus. In practice though this only serves to position the symbol in 2D. In 3D the position seems to be determined by the lowest point of the symbol sitting on the Z=0 of each layer.

Is there a way to determine the height that a 3D symbol goes in at? I would rather not have to move each one around individually.

Thanks in advance, Nick

Usually, the 2d part is centered on the XY Plane and in 3d TopView the symbol is centered on the XY workingPlane. Then in Front or SideView the symbol can be at any Z value +/-.

I always place a locked 2d Locus @ XY=00 and a locked 3d Locus@XYZ=000 for symbol insertions at the center point when required. The Z value of the symbol will then vary as required based on the insertion point @000.

Thanks islandmon,

I think I've got it figured out now. The X,Y insertion centre can be defined by a click on some part of the symbol. The Z insertion centre is always based on the Z height of the symbol when you create it.

ie a 3D symbol positioned 13" below Z=0 when it is created will then be positioned 13" below Z=0 when it is inserted. The centre of insertion click is irrelevant for the Z value.