Load my own Geoimage

Grubba

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To import a georeferenced image:

1.      Select File > Document Settings > Units and set the document units to match the units of the image to be imported. For example, if the image’s units are meters, set the Vectorworks document units to meters.

2.      Select the command and then the image file for import.

If a world file is associated with the image file, the image is automatically imported, translated, and scaled according to the document units you set in Step 1. The current view changes to Fit to Objects, so the imported image is visible.

To import an image without its associated world file scaling and translation, either rename the associated world file, or move it to a different folder.

I'm not in front of the computer right now  (well, I am in front of a computer but not the right one 😛). I will double check later. I did all that. I have the terrain loaded (shape file), everything is georeferenced and using the exact same coordinate system (it all came from the same GIS package). The document's origin is set to the proper coordinates. All geodata is loaded correctly and in the proper places. The only issue is when trying to load the (map) texture. The image, which is a standalone TIFF file (Geotiff), seems to load with the proper scale though its position doesn't match. I also saw something about "cannot apply texture to object", or something to that effect. All I want is to map the image as a texture to the terrain model.

Also, I should notice that all this takes for ever. Once the terrain is loaded, everything bogs down. The model isn't that large (I cropped it down to 4 acres with 2' contours). This computer has gobs of memory, 16 CPU cores and 4 GPUs. I can load scenes with orders of magnitude more faces and textures and have it loaded, manipulated and raytraced in seconds when using other applications for instance.

You will need to take your image and use it to create a texture from your resource manager. As for the origins not lining up I would have to see the files to make a determination about what is going on there.

With your machine getting slowed down. This is not too uncommon with digital terrain models. There are ways to improve performance and one of those is to adjust your internal origin. This changes the origin only in your file and does not impact when exporting information back to other users.

Ok, I went back and started from scratch to make sure the whole process was controlled. 

Within GIS, I loaded the terrain (DEM TIFF), generated a Contour (SHP) from the DEM file and loaded the photo mosaic (TIFF). I created a cropping mask and cropped a small region so I didn't have to deal with a large data set. Note that adding all these layers, which all use the same coordinate system, all line up fine within GIS. This is the cropped result within GIS. You have the photomosaic and the contours overlaid (the DEM is underneath and not visible):

1324302720_Annotation2020-04-18154952.thumb.png.04b1cc99161c62043fc86a1d2bb40a41.png

Within VW, I created a blank plan, changed the units to meters and set the georeference origin. I then proceeded to load the contour shape file, which loaded where it should (0,0) and with the proper dimensions.

1965376289_Annotation2020-04-18154537.thumb.png.cad2d616c91c585140a21c0dcef78915.png

After that I proceeded to load an "image" (the photomosaic geotiff). The image loading dialog does not offer any option related to georeference. It doesn't ask to use the embedded coordinate system or assign something else as it does when loading a shape file. The image is loaded but its origin is not adjusted. It ends up thousands of miles away:

699532999_Annotation2020-04-18154651.thumb.png.29746eb570423b62c5ab6b057e75a4b8.png

You will need to take your image and use it to create a texture from your resource manager.

That makes sense. Provided it uses the embedded georeference to map it to the terrain. Is that documented anywhere?

Thanks!

g