APPLY PANORAMA TO CYLINDER

I have created several 360º flat site panoramas in the jpg format. I want to apply these to cylinders so I can produce an effect of the view from a bedroom  with 360 potential. My first thought was to create a texture out of the panos and then apply it to the cylinder so that when the cylinder is placed properly the view from inside closely approximates what it will be. I have done this with planes before but this cylinder thing is tricky and the texture creatred is not very big.  Can anyone help with a workflow for this puzzle?

Thanks

Bradley

Edited by bc

IF I UNDERSTAND, you want to see the world outside the bathroom?

Surround the bathroom with a curved wall, and made a plain old 2D image onto the wall. If the bathroom is a stand 8' or so, the wall and image need to be much taller and the curved wall needs to start below floor level.

Or an image background

Thanks kevin.  Yes you are correct in what I want to achieve.  I'll try the wall idea.  sounds promising.

How would the image background work for the "surround".  Would it create a sphere? That would distort in wo directions would it not?

bc

I like your first approach - you could also look at Renderworks Background, but this will give you the most control:

The problem is a cylinder isn't hollow - you need just the skin so create a cylinder and Extract the curved nurbs surface as your target.

Create a texture that doesn't cast shadows

Set the OIP>Render Tab>Mapping to Cylinder

Save your file (it often crashes next)

Use the Attribute Mapping tool to adjust the scale, rotation and center point of your pano texture.

You can also make texture mapping adjustments in the OIP.

image.thumb.png.d2b19f79924c78a223768fad75d8ddf4.png

• Like 1

Thanks for that BCD.  I will try that as well.  My issues are with creating the texture, sizing the image to fit.

I have created a texture with the panorama but it's not working really well having to scale up towards 5000 and now the resolution sucks.  I see you're scaled at 2000...and the resolution seems pretty good.

bc

now the sis a photoshop question. Maybe you can attach the image?

When I do this kind of thing, I find or take a decent size photo. It's likely going to need to be a very wide image/crop. It's also possible to build such an image.

Then, assuming you have a 1 level room,, the height of the image and round wall needs to be about 3x, and the width is the interior circumference.

Can you show us what you want to see out the window?

No.

I am not as concerned with resolution at this point as I am with sizing the image...such that it looks correctly proportioned from at least SOMEWHERE.

Changing the cylinder diameter distorts outward or inward depending and changing the wall ht. requires changes in texture scale.

I would think more architects would be interested in using this technique or one like it to present to clients...such that the principles or processes would already be worked out.

Life's tough on the cutting edge, 😀

Thanks all,

bc