Simpler than STORIES - Provide Layer Height Linking

Taproot

Question

6 answers to this question

It seems like there is only a little bit of interest in this topic.  Maybe I was to wordy...

That said,  I think it would revolutionize the user experience so I decided to take up the challenge and see how it could be done with the tools currently available to us. 

My first try was to put an elevation marker on each layer that was linked to display the Z-height of the layer on which it was located.  When displayed in 2d in a viewport, it provides a storypole which would update as the layer heights changed.  It would have worked great, if I could have display the elevation markers in elevation view but the objects are designed for plan view and they just show up as a line in 3D views. 

880105679_ScreenShot2020-04-14at9_16_53PM.thumb.png.9580d1c9beb47d060f86c985f133a51a.png

My next idea was to build a worksheet that would automatically calculate the elevations based upon the offsets (thickness of each layer).  I'm pretty satisfied with this solution.  As a worksheet, I can have it open while I'm drawing, so I can easily draw and measure and recalculate on the fly.

It does require manually setting the design layer elevations to match the worksheet, but at least it's accurate, and easy to analyze everything quickly in one place. 

QUESTION:  Is there a way to display the Layer Name, Layer Wall Height, and Layer Elevation in a worksheet such that you can modify them from within the worksheet?

If so, that would transform this from a calculator into a powerful tool!

I've posted a file with the worksheet in it below (Saved back to v.2018 just in case you don't have the most current version.

If it helps anyone - awesome!

If you see a way it can be improved, let me know.

Here's a screen shot.

• Items in Red are to be filled out as the project progresses.
  • This is setup for a ≤3 story project.
  • All of the elevations are derived from formulas determined by the thickness of the materials entered.
  • The calculator has the Datum set to ZERO by default, but it can be manually changed to a specific site elevation i.e 153'-6"

1727154259_ScreenShot2020-04-14at9_23_25PM.thumb.png.b260c276e6095cbf120be0587b97c1eb.png

Layer Elevation Calculator.vwx

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Taproot said:

QUESTION:  Is there a way to display the Layer Name, Layer Wall Height, and Layer Elevation in a worksheet such that you can modify them from within the worksheet?

I don't think there is an easy (any) way to have an editable version of the Layer Name in a worksheet. I would have to try and see about Height and Elevation but I don't think so.

It may be possible to create a script that would display a dialog box with scrolling that might work, but I hate doing custom dialog boxes.

10 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

don't think there is an easy (any) way to have an editable version of the Layer Name in a worksheet. I would have to try and see about Height and Elevation but I don't think so.

Pat -

Changing the layer name wouldn't be needed - just the height and elevation. 

That said, you're the expert on this topic, so if a worksheet solution doesn't come to mind easily then it's probably a real long-shot.

It is pretty easy to add a layer to a storey via the layer dialog, as opposed to the storey dialog, and therefore 'link' layers.  Most of our projects start in 2D and migrate to 3D later, so rather than defining a storey strategy from the start, it evolves.

A button though to 'link to layer above' would be useful as would defining layer elevation etc via a worksheet.  We have toyed with (and criticised for) generating our layers and associate heights in excel and then embedding those in a script but it's cumbersome and not something for the every day user.

• Like 1