Adding Record data to a worksheet

@michaelk Creating a record with hundreds of symbol weights seems a lot of typing. I also don't know if that would help, as soon a symbol name changes.

Regarding your IF/THEN suggestion, where in the report would I add this formula, since I can't even reference a cell like G2.3 for instance.

The way you're doing it is making a record format for each symbol and using the default values of the record format as the symbol value.

I think you can make ONE record format and assign values in the symbol definition.  That way the weight of every symbol is called from with the same record.field call.

To do that I made one record format with all the fields from both.  There was only one field that was unique to the shackles. (Crosby part number).

Then, in the Resource Manager, Edit a symbol.  Choose 2D component (doesn't matter that there is no 2D component).  Make sure nothing is selected - OIP should say No Selection.

Click on the Data Tab of the OIP.  Click on Attach Record.  Select the record format.

Enter the default values for that symbol in the fields below.

From now on, whenever you insert that symbol those values will be attached regardless of what the record format defaults are.

I added a factor field anticipating that you would have more than just 1ft and 2ft schedule 40 pipes.  Just make the Factor be the length in feet and you can call the weight as 'record name'.'Weight (LBS)' * 'record name'.'Factor'.  That will give you the weight of 1 foot of schedule 40 times the length of the pipe.  For shackles, just leave the Factor as 1 and it doesn't matter. 

No need to multiply by the count.  There is a little triangle pulldown in each cell of the header row.  Click the one for the weight column and choose select Sum Values.  That will keep a running total instead of reporting the weight of just a single instance.

To get the total total weight, go to a cell outside the database (the row header will not have a decimal).  Type the equal sign and then click in the row header cell for the column who's total you want.  This will report that total, even when the database header row is not visible.

Hope that helps.  Post back if you still have questions or if you really really want to know how to do the nested IF/THEN/ELSE statements.

VWX Reports~~.vwx

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Boh said:

Note that you can alternatively attach records and set default values for symbols by right clicking on a symbol in the rm and clicking “attach record”. 

Good point.  I'm just an old-fashioned guy :-).  

Comes from years of making my own lighting symbols back in the day.  Just because.

• Like 1